Urgent Wild Collected Anemones

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kaianuanu, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu Peppermint Shrimp

thanks for getting us back on topic. So, are these considered condies?

2. Click Here!

3. Kaianuanu

that was for the ray, however i like how my corner is stacked and i hope to mirror a pile like this in the other end and then have a small pile in the middle.

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

basically I didnt see any major problems in your tank except for the ray. You really should not have even caught that in the first place thinking you could keep it in a tank that size. Now you have to go through the process/hassle of finding a new home for it. Anyways, other than that, they seem to be condylcatis anenomes which dont have too much requirements (easier anenomes to keep). You also need some more flow it looks like, what is your equipment?

5. Kaianuanu

right above the rock pile i have the largest size of the marineland penguin emperor HOB power filters that pumps 400gph and on the other side i have 2 small power filters that are rated for 20 gallon tanks. My light is just a 40w shop light. But the anemones were found in small crevices and caves in the jetty that got little to no direct sunlight. One thing im worried about is that before, this tank was a FOWLR. so my salt was instant ocean fish only, not reef crystals, is this okay? Anemones dont need all of those extra minerals do they? And do i have to feed them?

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

more then likely you will not have a clown host those.

If they are condi they are easier to keep then others. You will still have to feed them some small meaty foods for them to thrive.

I would NOT mix your caught fish with fish from LFS. While most of these animals have been captured in the wild, the hobby does create some issues, ie bacteria and parasites that these wild animals have never been exposed to. So if you are going to add fish from the wild, then it should only be a wild fish.

And if that ray is in that tank, then I wouldnt think it would be long before the fish are fish food for that ray.

I do not know much about use of natural seawater, but I would guess you would have to monitor for things like alk, mag and calcium even with just the anemone. I would also say that a 40w bulb is not going to be near enough for keeping them

7. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

Even though these anemones were not in direct sunlight, light doesn't shine through water in a straight line. Its called refraction, the light bends in the water so even if they were not directly exposed to light in your opinion they were still exposed. As for your lighting, a 40w shop bulb is not going to work. Your house lights look nothing like natural lighting(which these organisms need to survive). Anemones are photosynthetic, meaning the use light to partially feed themselves but also require other meaty foods. Granted you got the condy anem. and they are much easier than any other anemone. I would suggest at least going to get a T5 lighting system, with 10K bulbs, its relatively cheap.
    For Future reference, do your research so you dont have to sit there and worry about what youre going to do with the thing. It is simply ignorant to take something knowing nothing about it, only for it to die in your tank. It is a waste to the ecosystem.
    One quick thing i found, with minimal searching for Condys was:
    They require well-established tank that has been set up for numerous months and an aquarium that is firm and clean water parameter readings.
    Wishing the Condys and ray the best of luck

8. Click Here!

9. Kaianuanu

what type of lighting would i need to invetst in, becaus i also was hoping to eventually get to a point where i could keep some zoas

10. BIOchem3

BIOchem3 Astrea Snail

For what you want to do the best thing to do would be to get T5s. I read some of your earlier posts saying you don't have much money. Unfortunately this is not a cheap hobby at all. You will atleast need an antic bulb for zoas.

11. Kaianuanu

im pretty handy so i was thinking about doing it with a harware store fixture

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

the problem with the hardware store fixtures is that they are a different PAR level and different spectrum. Corals require not only intense lighting but the light must be in the correct color spectrum. No matter which light you get from a hardware store they will not work.