Urgent Wild Collected Anemones

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kaianuanu, Apr 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kaianuanu

Kaianuanu Peppermint Shrimp

I collected these anemones on a jetty on floidas gulf coast. I only have a 40w fluorescent strip light because before my tank was a FOWLR. However, they were all found in crevaces and small caves that get little to no light. I got them to suck onto my pre-existing LR formations. I also caught the blenny at the beginning of this vid yesterday too. I'm not worried about an exact ID on the anemones though, I just want to know whether i should attempt to keep them alive because when they die, don't they poison your tank. Cause ill just give them to a LFS or something if you dont think i can keep them alive. Also, do you think a small percula would host the big one? What should I feed them, i think they eat small fish because when i touch them the nematocysts grab my finger then they try to pull my finger into their mouth.

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i am pretty sure it is not legal to do that? is it? also your tank is not healthy at all. that blenny is obviously not happy at all. i would suggest releasing him back into the wild. also clowns dont host anemones like that. the only anemones clowns host are the ones in the pacific. you are on the atlantic cost or by the gulf. i would release all those back into the water they came from. also at the beginning of the vid there is a fish obviously near death laying on the sand next to the blenny. that is clearly a sign of a deteriorating tank.

4. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

Is your tank in front of an window with no coverings?

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

All of the questions should have been researched before collecting wild specimens. I get the feeling you also did not acclimate them properly to fake saltwater.

Do as bvb said and return everything removed from the wild.

Can we get more details about your tank?

6. Kaianuanu

It is not ilegal to collect them, only in national or state parks, i was not in one. However it is ilegal to release animals kept captive back into the wild. The dying fish was caught that day and was like that from the acclimation. The blenny however in now crawling through the rocks. This video was captured right after acclimation of the fish.

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

release them back. its only fish bought and raised in captivity. if all your fish are caught wild theres no problem

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

DO NOT, release it back. As sad as it may seem. You can do more harm to the ocean then already done by taking.

Once In your tank. it can get bacteria and other issues that has not been had in the ocean. And could potentially cause an issue.

There are many laws about things like this. and its another reason some states don't allow the selling of plants and other animals as well or for them to even be shipped into the state.

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

my apologies, i thought if water was from the ocean and all the fish and rocks were as well there was no problem

11. Kaianuanu

i have some store bought fish and fiji rock

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I guess I have to quote myself.