Wierd results and how and how do i fix?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ingtar_shinowa, Apr 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I did my first water test today using seachem testing kits. my values are as follows:
    Mg 1200 ish
    Alk 3 (this is the wierd one)
    PH 8,1 ish
    CA 400-450 ish
    Nitrate 10 ish

This is my first time, but I'm pretty sure the alk is way off because i have two tests to test it. Im gonna get comformation at the LFS later but is it really bizzare to have my alk so out of line when everything else looks pretty good?

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

So im an imbecile i figured the test was in Dkh and its not, its meq/L: all my levels are pretty good.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good catch I was going to tell you Seachem measures in meq. Congrats on good numbers.
    Try to bump your mag to 1320. Bump your alk to 4-5 and get your nitrate down to below 2. Bumping the alk may bring your pH up .1 or .2.

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

So whats going on? Do you have a tank build thread? Are you knew to Saltwater,new to corals, Whats your progress and Im assuming your testing to start adding corals now?

6. ingtar_shinowa

lol ive had saltwater tanks for 6 years, i just dont do testing or water changes, the 55 is going to be a mixed reef with alot od sps so im trying not to be a noob. Yeah im gonna bump the mag with kent tech m, have a frag or two isolated that have a bit of bryopsis. I have two mangroves rooting but nowhere to put them. I ran out of fuge room in the stand. Would it be horrible to just run mangroves in the sump with a light on an island and check the roots every so often? I got a duel brs reactor running gfo but not carbon because it looked mess... ok ill do a build thread!