Wide spectrum LED build: ALL IN

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by exactlyobp, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yup, let me know if there is anything. Start a thread so others can chime in as well :)

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Dimmable blue, royal blue, UV, and white? That's awesome, dude! So, how much did all this cost?

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hey Sean bro thanks!
    Yup, royal blue, cool white, neutral white (all dimmables), blue, 420nm UV, 398nm UV, turquoise (constant) to be eaxact.

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Looking great.. If ya don't mind where did you purchase the Turquoise and UV LEDs.. Ive been wanting to add more color spectrum to my DIY build. The growth is insane but some of the colors are a tad dull(1:1 rb/cw cree)..how do you think a couple greens would do??
    what would you add to my set up to help with coloring up better? sorry for the questions..Thanks..

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks, jkat! and Id love to help with questions you have!!

I ordered the turquoise and 420nm UVs from LEDGroupBuy. And the 398nm UVs from AquaStyleOnline.
    Well, Id do exactly what I did this time :p I might even ditch some LEDs you have and swap some UVs I listed above. I dont know if you have ever looked at the spectrum curve of major MHs, the turquoise/cyan (500nm) is the peak point and this is why I wanted to include the turquoise (495nm). But I was also told that the too much cyan browned some corals as well.

So if you're looking to add some spectrum for coloring up SPSs, Id add UVs at least 3w x8. Doesnt have to be a dimmable driver, just constant current one to run them.

(The AquaStyle server seems to be down as of now.. ?)

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Dude exactly, the light is badass! I love the look the blues give it, I was hesitant about them and ruled them out of my build, but now I'm thinkin I need to add another driver and 12 more leds! Have you ever looked at the pinks from bridgelux? I was thinking about adding some to my build.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hey insanespain, where've you been? Lol
    I LOVE the blue! It makes the green pop!!! and I noticed the candycane on the sand is happier than ever!!
    The pink huh? Even tho the UVs are not really visible to human eyes, I see the purple on the rocks and I'd imagine that the pink would pop a bit more?

10. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Yeah I know, I haven't been on much lately. Struggling with my tank and pissed off at marineland kinda made me lose interest breifley. That and other things going on in my life that take away time from reefing. But I'm workin on the tank again and back on the forum lol. And yeah the pink appeals to me, I would think it would help reds pop. I know they make ati pink t5 bulbs. I was thinking a mix of pinks and uvs on another driver

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hang in there, bro.
    Yeah since you're not really into SPS too much, I'd try some pinks. Red might be too much but pink would do great. I don't think it should be dimmable, so constant current driver would suffice.

12. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

how much would it cost me to have you buy all that, put it together and ship it here?