Wide spectrum LED build: ALL IN

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by exactlyobp, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

love it looks amazing

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yo mati, thanks!
    Hows your 72bow?

4. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Actually i have great news ! Papers were signed and closing for the new place should be sometime this month! Meanign the first thing going in is my tank! lol

i have everything the only thing i need is salt, RO filters and the RapidLed kit ! i got sand and 50lbs of dry rock to get started

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Wooooo that is a great news!! Make sure you start a build thread! You wont be disappointed with the Rapid kit!! I really recommend small amount of blues.

6. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Thanks i will ! i am going with a 48 led kit, i was think 2 RB: 1 CW ? no less blues? i also had in mind maybe throwing in some NW

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I think the 48 kit is the way to go for you, still Id include 4~6 blues. They make the green pop like CRAZY, really. The neutral whites blend in perfectly from what I see. Just so you know, 32 RB is a lot of blue.

It might be a crazy idea but
    -24 Royal Blue
    -18 Neutral White
    -6 Blue
    You cant mix the blue and white on the same driver, since the maximum mA is different if you wanna utilize the max power of Crees.

8. Click Here!

9. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

wow lol i actually like that mix..32 RB is a lot of blue.. all natural white huh ? that doesnt give a yellow look?

10. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

what if i do something like this..does rapid even allow for Blues to be added to the kit in exchange for royal blues?

24 RB
    10 cw
    8 Nw
    6 B

so each side is

12 RB----5 CW--4 NW---3 B

what you think?

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Talk to Mike @ [email protected] with any questions/requests. He'll figure something out. It might cost a bit more since the blue is a bit expensive.

Im sure you're thinking dimmable drivers, but you are gonna need at least 5 drivers to run different channels to control the LEDs by colors.
    The drivers I used to dim LEDs are the ELN-60-48Ds. It controls 8-12 (Rapid site says up to 14 but I wanted to be safe) LEDs in a single straight line.

Here is someone else said in better words:

12. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Ill send him an emai see if he can put something together for me, maybe with an extra driver i can achieve the mix i want.. i was planning on the meanwell P's

Thanks a lot ill keepyou posed on the build, maybe a thread soon lol