Wide spectrum LED build: ALL IN

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by exactlyobp, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

So I took advantage of the Black Friday deal. Ordered LEDs, drivers, heatsinks, etc from multiple vendors.

Here is the mock up idea of my LED light fixture.
    [​IMG]

Quarter: Cool White
    Dime: Royal Blue
    Nickel: Neutral White
    Marked quarter: Blue
    Penny: UV
    Marked nickel: Turquoise

Cool white (Cree XP) x 12
    Royal Blue (Cree XP) x 12
    Neutral White (Cree XP) x 12
    Blue (Cree XP) x 6
    420nm UV x 6
    398nm UV x 8
    Turquoise x 4
    All 3 watts, total of 60 LEDs for my 90 gallon (48x18x25) mixed reef.

Here are the driver channels:
    Meanwell LPC-35-700 (700mA constant)
    398nm UV x6
    420nm UV x6

LPC-35-700 (700mA constant)
    [STRIKE]RB x6[/STRIKE] B x6
    Turquoise x4
    398nm UV x2

Meanwell ELN-60-48D (1.3A dim)
    NW x12

ELN-60-48D (1.3A dim)
    CW x12

ELN-60-48D (1.0A dim)
    RB x[STRIKE]6[/STRIKE] 12
    [STRIKE]B x6[/STRIKE]

The size of the heatsink is 5.9x16", I will connect two of them with thin long aluminum plates. Make it look like one long light fixture. Still waiting for all the parts to arrive, just wanted to pick your brains!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Alright, no filter review :) :

Turquoise is interesting... I haven't seen those in person, so I can't say much more there. I'm just a bit concerned they might go a bit green on you.

I see what you're trying to do with your layout, and that's probably a decent idea. The only thing that jumps out at me there is, in the lower left corner, I'd swap that quarter and the nickel.

Your driver arrangement concerns me. I think you'll really wash it out with white they way you've got it planned. If that's the look you like/prefer; fine. But if it was me: I'd put the 6 Blues on the 700mA driver and move the 6 Royal Blues to the dimmable driver. Then I'd run that last dimmable driver at 1.3A, not 1A.

Perhaps you intentionally left it out, but I don't see any mention of optics. Do you have a plan here? If you want to keep playing off the idea you're working with the diode arrangement, you'll want to mix different angles of optics.

1 person likes this.
  4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Yo evolved, thanks, I knew I could count on you!!

It slipped out of my mind: its a great point that I will swap the blue and royal blue. But according to the RapidLEDs site RB spec, the max current is 1.0A tho? Still better than 700mA. And for the turquoise (495nm), if you look at most of the MH spectrum, it peaks at around 500nm, thats why I wanted to include the turquoise.

Haha I really havnt gotten around to the optics part yet. I'll have 55~60deg x 24 and 80deg x 12. Im planning to use 80deg for NW to get more coverage than penetration. The 420nm UV and the turquoise dont use optics: they come pointy lens on the emitters.

Im still afraid of washed out look as well, but thanks to the dimmable option, I believe I can tweak around once I get it up to get the sweet spot for me without spoiling.

Thanks again, evolved!

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

No need to thank me :) But you're welcome, of course.

Good call on the amperage. I always like to rely on the datasheets for that sort of thing: http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/xlampxp-e.pdf
    And it looks like you were told correctly. XP-E is a max of 1A.

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Of course I appreciate your input anytime, every time! You have been my mentor wheather you like it or not.

Im struggling if I should take another advantage of the sale that's going on right now :Apex Controller Lite to dimm control this LED lighting. Has anybody done anything similar?

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Holy cow! I just read through this and this is crazy! I can't wait to see the results you get. The layout is interesting but I think it should work fine. You are going to have a WIDE spectrum! I'll have to comment again when it's not so late and I'm not so tired.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Go to bed and comeback tomorrow! I really appreciate you even logging on!

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This should be pretty interesting. I can't wait to see how it looks over the tank!

I didn't even realize what time it is. Oh well, I'm staying up. :p

11. takayan

takayan Astrea Snail

I was encouraged by exactlyobp to do DIY LED project. I also ordered some LED from RapidLED and LEDGroupBuy. May update mine here. =p

12. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Very interesting build. Im looking to do the same as you. Keep us updated buddy!