Wich light should I Buy

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Dchavez, Sep 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Dchavez, looks like a good start to me. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure which controllers can do weather simulation. Many do dusk to dawn dimming, but there probably are ones, maybe someone else knows which ones? As to fans, I tend to like fans because keeping the heat down will extend the life of leds. Even if they don't do much, they can help a bit and IMO for the price why not. However, that is a personal preference.

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

You should check out BoostLED's controller. Not sure if it does weather, but it looks pretty top of the line for DIY.

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I think weather is over rated and just a bling factor and serves to real purpose.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Yeah that controller is awesome bang for the buck. I may pick one up myself

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I do apologize for my reaction. It just gets me when people come to a thread for the sole purpose of criticizing someone's spelling. I only meant to point out the fact that we all make mistakes.

Ok, back to the topic at hand. I don't think the BoostLED unit will do storms, but I know it can do all the ramping and timer programming of an AI. It seems to be the best and cheapest DIY controller on the market, but it does need some specific drivers to work. It also can control up to four color channels. I would look in to it before buying your other parts so you can match them up accordingly.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Off topic posts have been deleted. Let's try to keep 3Reef the type of site that people enjoy visiting because of the usual absence of that type of bad behavior.

8. Click Here!

9. Boa1277

Boa1277 Plankton

10. Malcolm

Malcolm Plankton

I have been researching led lighting to replace m. halides. It seems that Orphek has been working on the solution. They have canopies that are supposed to be powerful enough to keep light demanding sps corals. They are not cheap. Marine Depot has the best price I have found. The initial cost may seem high, but remember metal halides are hot, use a lot of electricity and need expensive bulb replacement. Check out the reviews in Marine Depot.

11. Ema-aquatic

Ema-aquatic Plankton

Hi, all guys, i am new here too. And i read all your communications and think it a woderful place to share something related to aquarium lightings and other things related to elektronik... Nice to meet you all...