Why Would Ppl Buy AI Vega Or Radion When U Could Have This?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by SeaFood, Sep 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SeaFood

SeaFood Plankton

I'm doing a new 75 gallon build next month. While doing my research on leds I have realized that the two most popular led lights: the Radion and Ai Vega, are very cool lights but their are cheaper lights with better par, spectrum, and coverage. Please tell me if im wrong, but which light would you pick which light is the best? :confused:

prestige-led.com/products/gamma - Prestige-led

About Our Lights - Apollo Reef LED

AI Vega

Radion ™ | EcoTech Marine

When comparing the lights i'm leaning more toward the prestige gamma.

2. Click Here!

3. sim1killa

sim1killa Astrea Snail

radions with the new len's that's my vote. for a 75g they would all work however.

4. CaveKitty

CaveKitty Plankton

I think it comes down to name brand. Same reason people buy BMW's when you can get a KIA for the fraction of the price. They both do the same thing.

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

The first one is a T5/LED combo I think, which is not a apples to apples comparison. I have the AI lights on my tank, and am really happy with them. High quality product, good customer support, and they are compatible with the APEX controller.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to quality and convenience. I think you can make a very high quality LED system (Probably better than the AI's or Radions) with numerous DIY sites to guide you. That would save money, but would cost you time (Something I dont have personally). From a quality perspective - If you find something that is quality in the industry, it usually costs you, and it is usually worth it. I have bought some less expensive things for my tanks, and have always regreted it in the long run when they did not last, etc...Of course this is a generalization and there are exceptions to that rule I am sure...but it has been my experience....

6. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

IMO, there's much more to it than the name brand. Yeah, a DIY kit will light your tank just as well but there is a lot of other functionality that you get with a higher end fixture. Admittedly some of it is a bit silly - like the ability to cause a lightning storm. There are other things that are pretty cool though. Some features that I like are the flexibility to control the light intensity via software, in the case of the Radions you can enter feed mode with one touch of a button and it will also communicate that to the Vortechs.

It all comes down to what your goals and limitations are.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I wouldn't touch that light. Bad mix of leds, no royal blues, optics aren't modifiable or even mentioned. And who knows about how well they are cooled, driven or if the warranty is worth a darn.. and for $530!!

You can get a vega for that with xmls, full control, reputable warranty and a proper led mix.. AND you have an upgrade path.. this light will never change after you buy it.. If you bought the first AI, you could have updated all the way to today's technology. Instead of buying a whole new light.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I try to make it a rule not to buy from companies who are affraid to list their company address and phone number on their site. To me, those are not real companies and there is no excuse for it. Those companies tend to be the ones that will close down if someone burns their house down using their product, they will be no where to be found. Maybe even change the name of the website and reopen under a different name. I'm just leary of companies that live in a shroud of secrecy.

1 person likes this.
  10. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

the reason you buy a BMW is because james bond drove one duh. lol

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Once. Aston Martin is where it's at! ;)

12. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah, that was a total aberration. I wonder what BMW paid for that....