Why Won't My Coral Grow

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by DaDaAtlanta, Jun 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Yea, I figured that was the issue with the PH but everything seems ok, I admit there is a bit of patience problem but ive seen almost 0 growth other than what I have mentioned in like 7 months or so. I actually dosed magnesium today and will be tryin to get it up to 1400-1500 and am using the c-balance 2 part to maintain my alk and calc and its been pretty well, this is actually the first time my alk read 10.5, usually its about 12.25 so may of been a test error. I admit that I could be more regular with water changes. Do you think the skimmer will help, the seaclone was only giving me a quarter cup of skimmate per week so i got my fingers crossed with this berlin xl. I have all softies, bunch of mushrooms, zooanthids. polys, my crabs eating my gsp lol, a frag of monti thats still just a frag, the candy cane with three heads. Again, thanks for your help and I will work on the patience :)

2. Click Here!

3. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Also frogspawn, open brain, kenya tree

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The skimmer has no affect on the growth of corals, its just a type of filtration. My shrooms, zoas, frogsprawn, torch, candy canes, monti's and stonies grow pretty well in my tank. Luna

5. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I also use aquavitro fuel and feed live phytoplankton every other day, its just very discouraging, hopefully things will change soon as long as I keep my levels and maintenance consistent

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I will cut up your quote, please forgive

I would consider my growth to be good...

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

my purple tip hammer (similar to frogspawn) has grown slightly, very slightly in the past few months. almost less than noticeable.

my colt (similar to a kenya) has at least tripled in size in the past 6 months.

I only give this info as a reference for you. your mileage may and will vary.

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Also, I noticed a bit more growth when I started dosing zooplankton weekly.

10. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

Very encouraging to hear about your growths, my emerald is eating my gsp, he just started about a week ago im guessing, i saw it dissapearing and caught him today so I tried to move it somewhere else in an angle that would be hard for him to get to it. I think my growth is slightly slower than yours, my frogspawn does seem to be growing since I got it couple weeks ago. I think spectrum has a lot to do with growth rates so I think I'll go down to a 10K when I change my bulbs, atleast till I get some good growth. At this rate, I dont know what people who buy tiny frags do in order to get such fast growth. I've heard good things from people with T5's about growth. What kind of lights do you use? I did buy some live tigger pods and just threw em in my tank at night, dont know if thats gonna create a population directly in the tank or not. As for my toadstool, is it normal for them to go dormant for a few weeks, it only extended polyps day one and then once in between in the last 3 weeks, it was fine at the lfs but I put it under much brighter lighting and good flow...Do you know if any of the marc weiss additives are any good? Thanks for the reassurance

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

T5 4x54 watt. 2x460nm and 2x10k. "SunDial"