Why to feed big hermits....= p

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by OoNickoC, Jan 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I was going to take out my bumble bees as they were bought for substrate mixers and dont burrow...just decimate my pod populations on the glass. Went to look for em and my Marshal Is. hermit beat me to the punch. I cut back on food for nitrate reasons and guess cut back too much for my hermits likings....he wrangled up every last bumble bee (no ohter kinds of snails ironically) and just finished off the last one!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

OH NOOOOO!!!! I was just leisurely reading my Sprung/Delbeek book and just read the part about hermits making an occasional lunch out of live snails...logged on here....and THIS!!!!!

I say you Ninja the crap outta him!!!!!

I would ninja my dottyback for eating 2 fireshrimp...if I could catch him that is.... :-/

4. OoNickoC

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Inverts;num=1104639506;start=0#1 date=01/01/05 at 20:26:56]
    I say you Ninja the crap outta him!!!!!

I would ninja my dottyback for eating 2 fireshrimp...if I could catch him that is.... :-/[/quote]

[smiley=yelrotflmao.gif]!!!! I would but he saved me the pain of catching em....but they were like $2.00 a pop! oh well......as long as i feed him some krill and nori ocassionally he is awesome...he absolutley decimates all algae on the rocks.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Beats $25 a piece :-/ :p times 2

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I've got one of those hermits also and because he has been l munching on my brand newly growing coralline I have resorted to feeding it algae tabs that I have for a FW Plecostomus. That hermit loves those tabs and will grab them out of my hand once he gets over the fright of my maw coming at him. One sniff and he is chowing down!! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

That hermit, within 2 weeks, had snagged the biggest empty shell in the tank, and proceeded to drag the thing around, even though it was two sizes too big. [smiley=pirate2.gif] It has since grown into it and wears it proudly. ;D

7. OoNickoC

[quote author=dx7fd2 link=board=Inverts;num=1104639506;start=0#4 date=01/01/05 at 21:17:07]because he has been l munching on my brand newly growing coralline[/quote]

I had the same problem....i believe they are starved for sometime before they reach the store....they are very destructive until they are fed some algae and a bit of meat. After the intial feedings and then regular smaller ones they seem to be quite good.

8. Click Here!

9. OoNickoC

[quote author=birdlady link=board=Inverts;num=1104639506;start=0#3 date=01/01/05 at 21:03:16]Beats $25 a piece :-/ :p times 2[/quote]

ouch..sure does! I know what u mean bout catching dottybacks....they are extremly darty and very aware. I find the feed in and scoop method the best. Lure em to the top with food and snatch em out quickly. One shot deal though. Very tricky.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

can anyone tell me what is usually responsible for eating the pods that my scooters like...on my nano there is a mass on the glass but not in my 55...do turbos eat em?