Why SPS?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Doratus, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I have had a soft coral tank, then starting dabbing in lps and finally in my tank now I was going to do full blown sps. Now that I have a few frags of sps I am leaning towards selling them and getting back into lps/nems. Maybe even a nem dominated tank. Sps tanks are beautiful but I need some movement. It's just to boring for me.

2. Click Here!

3. Beachbreak

Beachbreak Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

FWIW, I appreciate and enjoy both styles of systems. It's hard to beat the movement of a softy or LPS dominant tank but it's also hard to beat a mature SPS tank.

Either way as long as you're having fun that's all that matters at the end of the day

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

+1,I'm a softy/lps guy,I love the motion and simplicity,to me sps is just too static.But on the other hand,i've seen sps tanks that make me drool.I just wouldn't want one.

Thats whats so great about this hobby,every tank is different and can be anything you want from very easy to very high tech and very complex,it's all in what YOU want out of it.

And welcome to 3reef.

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

aint that the truth;)

6. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

There are some AMAZING LPS Dominated tanks that have nothing to envy SPS tanks IMO..

I love both systems almost equally.. However, I do like the color of the SPS tanks a little more. ( even though they dont move, they do have polyps that "move" in the current...)

Currently im attempting the mixed reef.. however, i am aiming to have more SPS than LPS.. I want to have a few LPS just to have " the movement"..

7. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Also you need to keep in mind that not everyone has large tanks so space is limited, when I had a 125gl(and money(no kids..damn kids ha ha)) I had a wide variety of stuff and plenty of room to play with. Now I have a 27gl and 34gl. I am learning that for my size tanks I must be selective no matter what type of coral I get.

I want an SPS mostly acros(no more monti caps mine grew like crazy and took over 1/3 of my tank) for one tank, and then a very selective lps/softy tank(as these also have certain corals that grow fast and large). Each type are beautiful but the longer you are in the hobby the more you want to change/learn/experiment and grow with your hobby. I believe SPS is a natural progression. We need a challenge.

So once you master SPS maybe you go back to the others but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and where one thinks SPS are boring others are amazed.To each there own and don't try to figure out what the fascination just know that there are different strokes for different folks(oh that is bad but I am smiling(getting old with my fathers humor)). Your tank is your tank and mine is mine boring or not.

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

YES! I picture some BTA's and Torch corals dancing in the oh-so-sweet currents of that MP40 :drool:

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

To me, there's nothing like a well kept SPS tank. Its not just the color, but to me, there's nothing like the branching form of a huge acro colony. I also love, and am often frustrated by, the challenge.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

SPS are considered a challenge as stated and as such there is a great satisfaction with "getting it right". I like movement also so I am trying to do a mixed reef to get my fix of all the different coral.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you have ever scuba or snorkled and have seen wild reefs with acropora growing like small trees, it's breath taking. All the fish swimming in and out, the small details and colors.

I do it because it has always been my goal tank, there is no other reason. I want a coral reef. Too me they are like orchids if you think of it in gardener sense.

Yes some do come across as more aloof if they have the stunning reef, but hey in my book they deserve it. It is not easy in the beginning and keeping a large mixed reef can even be more difficult.

I have few fish, 2 in fact. I have run through the gambit of tank styles but I was always looking for the sps reef.