Why SPS?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Doratus, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Perhaps my tune will change when I'm finally able to keep all my LPS alive. lol

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The beauty is in the challenge. It's the bonzai tree of aquaria. Sure there are cheaper easier trees. But they don't offer the reward in personal satisfaction.

4. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

I was in the same boat as you about 2 weeks ago until I got some new SPS frags since none of my LPS would tolerate the top half of my tank. I want to fill my tank with corals so I had no choice. I have got to tell you the growth is amazing on these babies! I already see new appendages growing and polyps are fully extended and the colors are really beginning to show! I told myself I wouldn't have "sticks" in my tank, but here I am wanting more colors ::)

Don't get me wrong, I love my LPS and the beautiful movement that comes with them, but they grow very slow compared to SPS. My birdsnest that I got back in april from a frag swap is no longer considered a frag, but a small colony! I guess now I just don't like soft corals at all lol

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I thought keeping my chalice alive was going to be tough at first but its not so bad and they are very slow growing but boy does it glow at night under the leds. Its a grape ape chalice not cheap lol

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I dabble a bit in the chalice world, as there are some amazing pieces out there. However, if you really want to talk/complain about expense, start looking into the chalice world. ;)

Not all chalices are slow growing. I've got one that get 1/2" or better of radial growth per month. My ORA blue grows almost as quick.

7. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Lol, I've been saying the same thing since I got into this hobby. I tell my gf the same thing all the time. There's nothing wrong with SPS and I do enjoy some of the pieces. But I don't get the constant "SPS dominant tank!" I have a hundred kajilion gallons per hour of flow but there is zero movement in my tank and it looks like a forest full of sticks. I respect those people because it takes serious dedication and I could probably never achieve a tank like some of the members here have. But for me, a tank with sps, lps, and softies all mixed together looks the best IMO. I imagine one day I will get some SPS frags, but they will never replace the other corals.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Trust me, Once the sps bug bites there is no escape

10. N3MATOCYST

N3MATOCYST Spaghetti Worm

11. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

SPS are typically a "normal" progression in this hobby. Once people get the hang of "easier" corals things can kind of plateau...and SPS is the next step in keeping things interesting. Personally after 28 years in the hobby I still love the movement from soft and some of the LPS corals. My main display tank is purposely strictly a soft/LPS tank...but I do enjoy the challenge associated with trying to get the max coloration/growth out of SPS too and so I do have a small SPS tank, not to mention the frag/grow-out tanks I maintain.

Forgive me for saying this, and it's not directed at anyone in particular so don't get yourself in an uproar over this comment...but I do see a "snobish" mentality sometimes from people who choose to keep only SPS tanks...kind of a mind set that you're not a "real reefer" if you don't keep SPS corals. Thankfully not everyone in this hobby has the same likes and dislikes, so every tank has it's own beauty...for some a tank packed with fuzzy sticks is the epitome of reef keeping...others love anemones...some prefer large predatory fish...everyone has their own likes and goals to gain from this hobby and I respect everyone whether their choice is mushrooms or high end LE SPS.

1 person likes this.
  12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Couldn't have put it any better myself. I agree with everything you said.

Personally I think my next tank is gonna be a predator/aggressive fowlr ;D