Why SPS?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Doratus, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

First of all, let me just say that the last thing I want to do is offend or alienate anyone here.

SPS is expensive to buy, it's expensive and time consuming to care for. There is lot's of frustration involved. And what is it all for? For anyone outside this hobby, sps looks like nothing more than colorful sticks. I could buy fake plastic SPS and the guests that come to my house would never know the difference.

Is it the feeling of satisfaction you get from successfully caring for something that is known to be delicate?

Is there some kind of "class" thing going on here?

Months ago I was talking about this to the SW guy at the LFS. He keeps an immaculate system with some crazy looking SPS included, and he told me "I don't get it either, but people keep buying it so I'll keep fragging them"

Again, no offense to anyone. Some of you have some fantastic tanks I've seen your pictures of SPS and they look great, I'm even jealous. But how is it worth it when there are so many restrictions on other things that are just as cool and perhaps even more interesting?

Example. I think any frogspawn is way more interesting to look at than any SPS, any day of the week. Obviously that is only my opinion, but I feel like more lay people would agree.

This is something I have always thought about and have never been able to get a straight answer.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It can be quite hard to beat SPS in terms of coloration and growth. Sure, some LPS can be quite colorful, but they also grow so slow you won't notice it but over a years time or so. There's also a great deal of challenge/reward with SPS.

It's also the only real way for propagators to make any money. Sure, it might be expensive on the initial purchase, but considering how fast it can grow in the right conditions, it can become profitable if you have a large system/facility.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I completely agree with evolved. I have some very colorful LPS in my system, but cannot see much growth over my monthly shots for 6 months. My SPS corals however, show significant growth over the last couple month to month shots. And yes, it is rewarding to know that your system can replicate the ocean well enough to grow and sustain "delicate" species.

5. Doratus

Well, I never knew it grew so fast. I saw the before and after pictures from a lot of people here but I just assumed they had excellent water quality and knew what they were doing.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Well, yes, it does require the right conditions to grow fast and maintain it's color. So yes, you do need to know what you're doing, but it's not hard if you're committed.

And grow rate is variable, even with the same coral in two different systems. All SPS systems seems to have one or a few particular type(s) that does really well.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Well, what is the difference between SPS and soft corals?

This newbie doesn't know, or has not found that answer.

??

8. Click Here!

9. Doratus

SPS = Small Polyp Stony, so in other words they are hard corals. When you touch them, they are not "soft".

Soft corals are just what they sound like.. "soft" to the touch.

There are many more differences, but that's not the point of this thread.

10. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Softies are just that, soft. SPS = small polyp stony corals. They usually branch but some plate or cup. SPS have a skelton with very small polyps. Not the most technical description, but gives you the jist.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks for the replies

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

For me, an lps tank doesn't do it... They are too easy to care for. In fact, you have to TRY to kill them lol. It's just my nature to strive for what challenges me, therefore I am an sps guy.
    Also, it is so rewarding to know for yourself that you can care for and keep these delicate creatures. Many years ago when people were first getting sps to stay alive in tanks this news was revolutionary.

Oh, and in top of that you can't get more unique color out of anything else. This is also why keeping chalices really appeals to some. They may be slow but if you know "how" to keep them then their colors will surpass even that of acros