why NOT use an ATS?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by chappy85, Feb 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

my big tank build keeps getting pushed back for other things so i've had alot of time to read.

recently i've read about algae turf scrubbers.
    the seem quite good in theory and seem to make enough sense to at least not be immediately dismissed as a sham.

the lack of progress in my build means it probably wouldnt be too much trouble to fit one into my setup, possibly inplace of or as part of my fuge, but still running a skimmer.

the problem i have with doing this is that i could count the number of these i've seen on other 3reefers systems on one hand, which leads me to wonder what the deal is.

what i'd like to know from anyone willing to comment is why YOU specifically arent using one?
    did you consider it?
    or is it just better to just go with the tried and tested - skimmer, reactors, fuge etc...?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Pod's can't live in it like a fuge, seems like something that's more awkward to setup then the fuge. Don't like the idea of turf type algae in my system.

The turf scrubber won't replace a skimmer nor will a fuge IMO.

I tried biopellets and they work great and are compact, let me keep corals I never thought I could with my poor husbandry.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

IMO, the fuge can replace a skimmer. I don't run my skimmer anymore, and still have 0 phosphates/nitrates, with growth on all sorts of corals from Zoas to SPS. No GFO for my tank anymore, either.

I would use a ATS is my primary goal were nitrate and phosphate removal, and didn't mind the extra maintenance over a fuge. Most designs I've seen incorporate some mechanical parts, meaning maintenance is greater than a plain fuge.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

really 0 phosphate and nitrates, your using saliferts right? so its even zero on the low range scale?

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I pull out a handful of cyano every couple days, along with the regular chaeto growth biweekly. Cyano is very good at absorbing N/P quickly.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I think you don't see more scrubbers because it takes more planning and fore thought than other methods. Also, like a fuge, it takes time for it to mature to it's full potential, but it takes a little more maintenance.

There is a lot of negativity toward scrubbers for some reason, and a good number of poorly designed builds. Stick to the basics, good flow, good light, and an easy to clean screen. They work excellent if done right.

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I think ATS is pretty good in theory but not so hot in practice. Like was said they require different setup... not just a compartment. There is maintenance to clean them out regularly and they take power. The better they are the more power they need.

I think a better approach is to look at the over all system and how maintenance and power hungry it is gong to be.

A ATS is more efficient at growing algae than a fuge... but more power and more maintenance and more space. I've seen some scrubbers with full T5 systems.

A good ATS can remove N and P... yet that is after it is in the water column. A skimmer removes some of it before it is broke down and released to the water column.

A good skimmer and fuge will grow food, remove waste, and remove N and P in a small foot print and not much power and maintenance. An ATS can remove more N and P out of the water column, but are not as easy as a good fuge and skimmer.

The systems I have seen that rely on ATS seem more driven to make the ATS the center of attention. T5 large surface area.... but at that point as for a a filtration system... you are using light to power the filter to remove N and P after it is in the water column. Just seems to me mor eefficient to run a good needle wheel and a moderate fuge to remove pre and post.

10. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

i like what i've read about biopellets too, but the ongoing cost deters me a little.
    i dont mind extra setup as i've got more time than money for this project as it is, i also love a good design challenge and i think i could come up with a pretty good ats. could mabe run a fuge as well purely for pods. however, if the average fuge can pull similar n + p but need a tenth of the maintenance than its hard to argue against it.
    already have a skimmer and expect that i could need a bigger one with whatever direction i go.
    i still cant see this being a clear cut choice

thanks for all the really great responses already.
    keep em coming!

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

if your talking about the on going pellets costs, 80 dollars of pellets will probably last you 2 years atleast..

12. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

You'll get pods from an ATS. In fact, part of the maintenance is not only to scape off excess algae from the screen (nutrient transport) but to rinse the screen with fresh water to kill the pods and stop them from eating the algae. You do this faithfully every week depending on growth.