WHY??? no sps

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by kmmetalman, Oct 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

With sps there can be millions of reasons for bleaching. With 175 mh your acros aren't going to bleach and die. They may turn brown from lack of light but they would still have enough to live and probably grow very well. I think a couple of things in that tank could be affecting the coral. The leathers could be launching chem warfare against the sps (happens very often), Your light cycle could be too long resulting in too much light intake and bleaching occurs. If I were you I would get an easier more hardy sps like birdsnest or some monti plate and see how that does. I think your lights are plenty.

2. Click Here!

3. kmmetalman

kmmetalman Plankton

Been a while since I could get back on. Tested for mag. came in at 1410ppm. Sr came in at 14 mg/l . I do have activated carbon in my sump. the leathers were added after I failed with acro. before. I decided to try "softies" instead. They have been doing very well(even been fragged twice for friends). Now I saw someone post that my lighting might be on too long this may be an answer: actinics run 12 hrs/day halides run 10.5 hrs/day. is this too long?

4. kmmetalman

kmmetalman Plankton

One more note as for flow I have 2 #4 korallia and 2 #2 korallia ( all on a wavemaker (4 minute cycle 2 on 2 off) in the tank + sump return (750gph) on a sqwd. I also have 2 zoo-med Power heads (somewhere around 400gph each)