Why is my anenome dying ?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by markgsiy, Aug 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I almost only go to J&L's Aquatics check out www.jlaquatics.com really nice stuff.
    there should be no opening in the bottom of the LTA so no brown stuff should be coming out. I'm affraid I haven't run into anything like that before. Brown stuff from it's "mouth" is normal on ocation, (has to poo). It could be expelling everything in a dieing process. Sorry not much help. I'll try and do some research and post later

J

2. Click Here!

3. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Thank you Jakets.

I have also attached another pic of the bottom of the anenome for your reference. This really shows what the brown stuff that is comming out looks like.

Also, thank you for J&L's Store location. Since it is in Coquitlam and I live in Vancouver, its quite a long drive to get there, but I will definitely check out that store. Thanks much !!!

Post back if you find anything... I will keep checking back.

ttyl !!

Attached Files:

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I PMed you so check your 3reef mail.

Anyone else.....
    I've never seen anything like that.
    A little help

Mark I'm going to let someone else help becuase I really don;t know anymore and would hate to lead you astray

J

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Hi and welcome to the forum

I would say your pcs would be a little to low of a light anemones need a very hi light i would say metal halides and not much less. even though anemones are a very popular critter for tanks they do not have a very good survival rate. most get 6 mths out of them the ones that have them over that or longer are very lucky. i personally wouldnt reccomend one at all. its a fact they can live hundreds of years if untouched in the ocean but once in an aquarium 6 mths maby a year but very very few over that. i would take the suggestion and move it as hi in the tank as possible maby thato would help you can try. then let us know

6. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

Thank you for the warm welcome...

As for lighting, I currently have a total of 110Watts using 2 Compact Flourescents of 55Watts each. This gives me a little over 3Watts per gallon. Is this not enough ?

What can you suggest for this size tank in terms of lighting ? Since the tank is only a 35 Gallon and my total width is 36", I am wondering if there is a company that sells a high power lighting system for a 36" canopy?

Any suggestions.... thx in advance

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

OK, I hope no one has said this, I stopped reading after the 1st pic on the anemone. Its dead and dying, ditch it. I'mn sorry to say that, but I've dealt with thousands of anemones being in the import biz, and that one is a lost cause. Yours is a classsic example of what we call "blown booty syndrome". What your seeing is the anenome turn itself inside out, exsposing the guts.

8. Click Here!

9. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

That was the general comments of anyone who saw this. What I would like to know is the cause of its death. I also have other corals both hard and soft and although insufficient lighting could be the cause, I could use other possible explanations as this happened so fast - within a 2-3 day period. Before that, it was having a great time with the clowns that I have (2 of them).

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

How about you bought it on a lit fuse. Anemones can take several weeks to several days to die from collection stress/injuries, shipping stress/related injuries and not to mention what a lfs could do to it. You'll never be able to tell what did it in. I watch perfectly looking anemones go down all the time.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I've had two beautiful looking BTAs last two days and two weeks after fully attaching and opening in my tank. All water parameters were perfect and all other life in the tank fine. Gresham is right on in his comments!