why is kalkwasser better then regular Ca

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by vdhillon2, Aug 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vdhillon2

vdhillon2 Astrea Snail

Hi,
    For calcium i always see people talking about adding Kalkwasser to there tanks, esp for top off water. I have tropic marin Ca and Seachem calcium that i have been using for a while now. I just was wondering why Kalk is better....should i stop using what i have and go buy some Kalk or am i fine?
    thanks,
    V

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I am sure there is no problem with Ca additives. I use Kalkwasser for several reasons,

Cheaper than Calcium (Mrs. Wages pickling lime)
    Raises pH
    Precipitates Phosphates
    Adds a bioavailable type of calcium
    I use Kalk in place of plain ro/di topoff water
    it is cheaper than calcium. ;D

There are folks that use both

4. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

how does it stack up against two part?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Haha! I know it is cheaper!
    Seriously...I was never able to keep my pH up with the two part or turbo calcium. Also, you don't get the phosphate precipitation. :)

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

welll i just use kents regular calcium its easy...kalkwasser is good but..its kinda a hassle for small tanks

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OH just bit the Bullet and get a CA reactor :smartass:
    Best money I ever spent

J

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Kalkwasser also helps maintain alkalinity...I forgot... ;D

So Jason, are you saying your way is better than mine??? ;D ;) JK! Obviously there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Could you also define the advantages of a CA reactor Jason? I have never used one...I do know reefers that use both CA and Kalk reactors together tho... 8)

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

IMHO Kalkwasser is a step backwards from the two-part systems or even calcium chloride. Kalk isn't cheaper if you consider how much less concentrated it is versus Calcium Chloride. It also cause pH swings include disastrous one if use incorrectly. You also get all sorts of precipitation problems with Kalk as well. Check out the pics on this link.
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php

It does precep Phosphate at least but it only stores it in your substrate it doesn't really remove it. You can toss a couple of cap fulls of Calcium Chloride in the tank and call it a day. You have to drip Kalk to avoid the Ph swings.

The 2-part system you get the myriad of major, minor, and trace elements it is easier to dose and doesn't cause half the problems of Kalk. My two cents.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hmm, I will have to disagree with you a bit here ;) Of course, this is MHO ;D

I refer you to RHF's article HERE which indicates Kalkwasser as a balanced alk/ca additive. Calcium Chloride must be supplemented with a to-be-determined-by-your-system alk buffer, increasing cost and labor. I believe also, that you get a build up of ?chloride? (I cannot find the exact chemical right now) from using Calcium Chloride on a daily or regular basis.

The three balanced methods he offers are Kalk, CA/CO2 reactors, and 2 part solutions.

He states from the article you linked...
    "The following important points should help in dealing with a limewater overdose:

1. Don't panic! These overdoses do not usually cause a tank to crash."

He goes on to say, you usually need to nothing in most OD cases.

I have used Kalk for over 7 years and have never overdosed.

You could just as easily OD your tank with CO2 from the reactor, or too much CA from the reactor causing similar precipitate issues. You get precipitation when CA and ALK are supersaturated, by whatever method.

The newer two part set ups are decent, but pricey. I also could not get my parameters where I wanted with the Bi-Onic. This would be the most expensive method as well. When I set up my nano, I may very well try it again tho.

Reef additives don't get much cheaper than $3.85 per pound..
    http://store.yahoo.com/mrswages/mrswagpiclim.html

If you notice, in the article you linked, RHF's method of calcium addition is Kalkwasser. ::) And here is another article by him touting the benefits and drawbacks of Kalk.. including a mention that the precipitated phosphates may get skimmed out (or may drop into the subtrate...)
    http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Basically, I don't feel that Kalkwasser is a step backwards. It has been used for years, and is still being used by lots of folks. There is more than one way to do things, and I like this way ;D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam