Why have coral gotten so expensive?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Doratus, Oct 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

But the ones in person? I mean it sure looked pretty similar to some of the photos?

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

In regards to what; OP or WD?
    I haven't seen WD, but I know plenty.
    OP I've seen at RR, and it's amazing. But I've also seen the RR Asia OP (and similar others), and it's a long ways from it.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

WD, at the last frag show I saw both OP and WD grown under LEDs and I wasn't impressed. At a different point I saw WD grown under T5s and while it didn't look like the picture, it was pretty amazing looking.

5. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I haven't kept up with all the lingo and varieties but this post stemmed partly from a recent trip to a local store in San Mateo. They were selling zoa polyps of certain varieties for like $30-$100 for a single polyp!!!

I couldn't really believe the prices, but I looked online when I got home and the prices at the LFS seem pretty fair after you take shipping into account.

I visited the local fish store here where I live up north and it seemed like the same high price situation there. They remembered who I was and gave me a pretty good discount on a number of things as sort of a welcome back gesture, which was nice.

Call me crazy, but I wouldn't pay $100 for a single polyp of anything... even if it had flames shooting out of it and it sang songs.

Piano10 likes this.
  6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

To each their own. I know of polyps that sell for way more, and people are willing to pay.

I personally have no problem spending $200 for a 1" frag of acro. Or $200 for a fish. I draw the line at around $400. But that's just based off what I make.

That being said, I think it all comes down to what each person thinks is pretty/worth it.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I think anything from the ocean is gorgeous but I have my limits on what I'm willing to spend.

I learned that this hobby is about paying a lot but making little back when/if you decide to get out.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

A 2k fish is when I start to question my sanity...

Here's to being insane! :p

Jlobes, DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No no no.o_O There have been some really nice but really expensive frag packs up lately, why do they do this to me??????:rolleyes2: The complete payment option at check out is too easy, I stopped myself just in the nick of time yesterday.

DSC reef and Piano10 like this.
  11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

It's simple; I just stop looking when the play fund is depleted.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I have some really nice acros, I'll ship you 1" frags for only $100 each! ;-)

DSC reef likes this.