Why guppy tanks are a great food source for your reef

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Boywithafishtan, Jan 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Here's a curveball, what about corals? I feed my sun coral and anemones Mysis all the time (supplemented with krill, large plankton, and squid).

Vinny, do you have data or something similar showing a negative correlation? Seems odd then that Mysis is probably one of the most often used frozen foods, and is even used by liveaquaria to feed their fish.

I think it'd be hard to prove that Mysis shrimp are bad because in order to confirm, one would have to feed the fish solely Mysis, which as we all know isn't a varied diet which in itself leads to shorter lifespan than what is possible on a varied, healthier diet.

Just posting my thoughts :p

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I think as long as your feeding a varied diet the fish would be ok with occasionall freshwater species. I feed mysis to all my marine animals along with a vast assortment of flake, pellet, fridge and frozen foods. I also chop up fresh squid, mussels and clams and freeze that up and it feeds my entire reef from fish to coral. A varied diet is very important in long term health. I took the thread as feeding your marine fish with freshwater fish as a staple and in my opinion is not good at all.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Thread moved to Fish Food Forum.

You have a nice lively, polite debate going. I commend you all on this as this is a hot button topic.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

SW fish eat SW fish in the wild. They do not however eat Mysis,guppies,or even brine shrimp.

The fats and proteins in shrimp differ from fish.I don't feed Mysis because I have any proof its "bad" for them.I have access to sw foods that make adding any fw cuisine unnecessary. Those of you that know me know the drill.Limit risks.
    Absolutely . Variety is still the key and most of us have nothing to worry about as far as diet.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well, I guess we're just going to agree to disagree in terms of feeding Mysis and brine shrimp or possibly including live fish into the diet. I think we all agree that a variety of food is what's best.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Old fish keeper I don't know what you are having a problem understanding?I am going to vm Gresham. I am sure he has much more scientific data for you and the rest of us.

I will try again.Do not battle Mother Nature.You will lose.My whole point is try to feed your animals as close to a natural diet as possible.These animals have evolved for millions of years and do what they do for a reason and those reasons are even more complex then we ever dreamed they could be.That is why we kill so many.
    Stick to what we know works and leave experiments to the experts.You will be a much happier aquarist and person.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

I do not believe I am having trouble understanding at all

10. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

So are brackish water fish invincible or totally screwed?

11. Vinnyboombatz

Maybe you missed something I said because you seem to think we are disagreeing.A fw fish once in a while may or may not hurt your fish. Unless you are keeping a predator tank you don't have much to worry about.This thread started when the O.P. said guppies would make a good diet for sw fish and the answer IME/O is no they won't. Then I was just sharing my approach which has worked pretty well. Saying you disagree with something and then not giving a reason why you think that way doesn't really help.

12. oldfishkeeper

not disagreeing on the original OP post. I disagree about feeding Mysis (which you stated was not in theory a good thing to feed) and I believe you mentioned that under no circumstances should FW fish be fed to a SW fish- however, in your last post, you are saying that it wouldn't be harmful. I think those are where we disagreed.