Why guppy tanks are a great food source for your reef

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Boywithafishtan, Jan 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Not to be rude or mean, but you should do some research before starting a "how to" thread on a public forum. This info is old news and can be found within seconds with Google...

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would like to weigh in here......I would think that a few live guppies along with a balanced, varied diet would be ok. It's not that the guppy is not from saltwater it's that it is a whole, live fish which is what many fish in the wild eat. I agree that you shouldn't have this be the main, staple diet but I'm not understanding what is so wrong about giving your fish live food as a part of their overall diet??

also, PE Mysis shrimp are freshwater, no?

4. Mr. Bill

Aquarium-Related Articles

I will add that Greg (from Lionfish Lair) stated that molly fry would be fine. OTOH, mollies are actually brackish/SW fish, not freshwater. :)

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Yes, guppies are often used when introducing a new predatory fish that isn't keen on taking frozen right away. However, I (as long as others who have posted) believe the OP is talking about making it a regular item in their diet which is unhealthy and leads to eventual problems in the fish.

Also you are correct about the PE Mysis shrimp (Mysis shrimp in general) are freshwater. you bring up a good point, under this idea, I'm not sure why feeding Mysis shrimp is ok, other than the fact that most people vary between Mysis and other food sources.

6. oldfishkeeper

I agree in that the OP was suggesting to make it more of a staple diet and that is a problem. The information posted by Mr. Bill also indicates the potential hazards when one feeds marine fish with a diet primarily of freshwater fish. I'm thinking there is also a difference between goldfish and guppy fry primarily in terms of size. I'm just saying that I don't see a reason that feeding live fish as part of an overall balanced diet would be a problem. Marine fish omnivores in the wild eat whole fish all the time.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Immensely complicated topic, so much so that it's probably best to avoid broad brush claims.

Here is some information from Renee as it relates to Thiamine and Guppies.
    Guppies and thiaminase - Reef Central Online Community

I am confident that either Greg or Renee will see this thread and chime in.

You make a good point OFK, regarding an occasional feeding of a fresh water fish. But title of the thread stating "great food source" leads one to believe that guppies are a good food source. Comparing Arthropods (mysis) to fresh water fish is comparing apples to oranges with regard to lipid content and type.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

You are correct in that guppies are safer than goldfish to help get your predator eating in it's new environment; however, they're still not recommended as a long-term source of nutrition.

10. oldfishkeeper

I realize about the comparison between guppies and shrimp is apples to oranges. I was wanting to state that just because something is found in freshwater doesn't nix it as a possible positive food source for a saltwater fish.

1 person likes this.
  11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Good links and articles.
    When a non human is dissected after death its called a necropsy.;)
    I have assisted in several. A good friend(marine biologist and lfs owner) performed them. Along with the obvious liver issues there were several other abnormalities like reduction in size and weight of the animal.It was his belief that there bodys just can't assimilate the fats and proteins as well. As far as feeding your fish.Just cause everyone does it doesn't mean it has been proven safe or effective.I don't feed Mysis to my fish.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  12. oldfishkeeper

I feed Mysis not because everyone is doing it, it is a good food source. When you assisted with the necropsy, what exactly was the fish diet over time? As with anything dietary, if you're not feeding a variety of foods then of course the fish would not be healthy. Why do fish in the wild eat whole fish?