Why does southern food smell bad?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ohh ok, i should like it then. I felt the same way when i came home from just a weekend stay, and we only had real southern food once, at his parents house for his sister's HS graduation party. felt like i gained 10 lbs.

I would never be able to live in LA especially where he and my sister lives, they live with his parents, and not a very nice neighborhood at all, he said that like two streets away from his house if your white and you go down the street you get shot at *no joke* and drug dealers always used to do drugs behind his house, but they know not to mess with his dad, and apparently their afraid of my sister's dog so the dealers dont mess with them.

but the food is good, wouldnt mind visiting, just not living

2. Click Here!

3. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Damn!! Yea there are some tough neighborhoods down there - last time I was in N.O. I saw a guy get stabbed right in the middle of the street - was nuts but I guess S#!t can happen anywhere really!

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thats crazy, he and my sister live in Crowley, but when they first moved out they lived inj Laffayette but couldnt afford it any more so moved in with his parents.

Not being racist or anything like that but when i went there it was a HUGE culture shock. It was so weird that like the only races of people that i saw were either whtie or black. Soooo not used to that, i'm used to all kinds of race mixes where i live, and where white is the minority. Heck just on my street, we have Muslim, Asian, Japaneese, Mexican, Iranian, Indian, and my parents and i are the only white people on our street.

It was also so weird getting used to the whole Ma'am and Sir thing, lol its funny to hear my sister say it, she's picked up a little bit of accent. But it was just so WEIRD, here in so cal, if you say something like yes sir or no ma'am its an insult

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

stop having northerners do your southern cooking for you and it should all get cleared up.

oh from Louisiana? that is creole more than south...yeah it taste great though

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Such controversy over food lol. I've always been interested in the south vs. the "yankee" phenomenon. Why is it so many people from the southern states have such a view of the northern states?

It's times like this I'm happy to be from one of the ambiguous states.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Southern food is good, provided it isn't cooked with something nasty like lard.

I really like cajun food, I've never had a bad dish in New Orleans. Etouffee if done well is excellent!! New Orleans is one of my favorite places - only fight I've ever missed was coming out of there :lol: Awesome place, awesome food.

If you get up to Baton Rouge, a place called The Chimes is excellent - great food and atmosphere. Razzoo down in the French Quarter is great fun as well ;D Club 300 was cool (closed now, I believe?), Wolfe's, La Bayou .. oh man. Good times.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Ever have biscuits made in "The South?" Traditionally these are made with shortening most times. They're made with butter by purists. Lard (fat from around the kidneys and innermost organs) is used in The South and while the taste may be considered a tad on the "meaty" side by some, lard provides some of the most flaky and tenderest biscuits you can make.

IMO there's nothing nasty about lard. It's pure, not processed or hydrogenated like shortening, and a lot cheaper than butter. I like my butter over lard, but don't knock it 'till you tried it. :)

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Yep, I've had food cooked with lard. It sat like a rock in my stomach the next day and I felt like I was going to throw up. Heh. To each their own, ya know :)

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ewgh lard! I agree, not good. But everyone is different!! Just looking at lard makes me sick to my stomach.

12. slocal

slocal Doot!

lard aka manteca is the flavoring of gods....

speaking of which, does anyone not save their bacon grease for cooking anymore?