Why does southern food smell bad?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahaha it really did smell bad this morning, i think Gexx was right and it was just the start up. lol when i went to LA they got me hooked on southern food, i loved crawfish and gumbo, they also had some i think like rice ball or something i think it was a mixture of like rice and meat i cant remember but that thing was good too

hahahaha will do i can actually tolerate being in the house now without feeling like im going to vommit

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

lmao!!!!!!;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so i asked my sisters bf what the food was and he said edgufay *sp* i have no idea how to spell it

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

6. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

What on earth is uh toofy? :lol:

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol is that how you spell it :D i knew i was way off :D surprised you knew what i ment :p

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

haha I think it's the oil they fry everything in that smells so bad. When I went to alabama everything was fried and stinky. Lol but I hate the smell of fried food, even up here.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Etouffee is the spelling. It's some of the most delicious stuff around. Let's just say it's got A LOT of butter in it. How bad could that be?

As far as the cooked or cook goes, I've got to agree with =Jwin= here. Instinctively, our noses tell us when something is not good. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but for the most part--if it smells bad, it might not taste good. There are some cultural cuisines that smell pretty bad while cooking, but that's not the rule. Cabbage or greens don't smell too great during cooking because of sulphur-based compounds liberated during the heating, but they taste fantastic when all is said and done. This food of his might just have been burnt, in which case it WON'T taste good.

Some do equate unfamiliar smells with "bad." Be open minded. If he executed the recipe properly, you'll love it. The main ingredients of onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers, bay leaves and butter smell FANTASTIC while cooking.

BTW, is this the first "Southern Food" that you've smelled that was unappealing?

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea i agree a lot of fried food doesnt smell good
    interesting :D he said he had to turn off the oven so maybe he burnt it slightly :/ maybe its because he's not used to our oven it heats up very quickly if its on high, i know when i smelt it this morning it had only been on for an hour because he woke up at 7. But now a couple of hours later, i have to admit it is starting to smell good, i even lifted the pots lid and didnt smell as bad.

I think im just unfamiliar with the smell maybe, i have a very sensitive sense of smell.

And yea this is the first "southern food" lol food that ive smelled that was unappealing, i havent smelled much. But the gumbo that his mom made when i was there sure was good

1 person likes this.
  12. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

YUM - You are in for a treat! Etouffee is great and is similar to a gumbo except not as soupy. It sounds to me that he was making the Roux that is the base for the etouffee which contains LOTS of butter like sparky said.

I'm going back to New Orleans for the 7th time in March and can't wait - I usually come home around 10lbs heavier than normal with the amount of eating/drinking that the town is famous for :evilgrin::evilgrin: