why does saltwater look clearer then fresh.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by sostoudt, Nov 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i am trying to figure out why salt water looks clearer then fresh water. Is it all in my mind? or do other people see it also.

i don't think its the refraction because since saltwater is denser it should refract more. ive tried searching google but got nothing. any info would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I would say it has to do w/ the lights that are used in meerwasser tanks as well as how most people maintain saltwater tanks better and have less planktonic algae in them.

Good question though

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I agree with Fragenstein, most people who do saltwater make sure to have pristine water conditions, my friends who have freshwater literally don't do anything except replace fish when they die. I would also say that a big part in making the water really clean is the skimmer, fresh water people don't use them

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Plants in freshwater also help make the water a more golden colour along with bogwood releasing tannins (sp)

6. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I personlly think my FW are clearer than my SW and I think it is do to my snad sifting goby and clown. They muck up the sand and my pepples in the FW don't move to mess up the water. I will agree most don't take care of the FW like the SW and I am one of them. I still test occassionally and do water changes but nothing like my salt. I am more worried about my salt as it is more expesive with all the corals and things!

7. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I think the skimmer makes a big difference.