Why does my protien skimmer give off so many bubbles in the tank?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by cnunez3024, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cnunez3024

cnunez3024 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

my tank has less bubbles now but there are still bubbles are a little bubbles normal?

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Little bubbles are normal. I have a Seaclone 100 that I have been running for over a year now. First I removed the prefilter on the pump. It gets dirty way too fast. Second keep an eye on the air tube on the pump side. It will build up with salt. Every couple of months I take it off the pump & rinse it with lukewarm water, dry it, & re-install it. The other thing people forget. Check to make sure your skimmer is level. If not the water going back into the tank will hit the top acrylic & cause massive salt creep! Not to mention much better flow... I believe I'm one of 3 here that have mastered the Seaclone's operation.

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Keep in mind, if you clean your collection cup to where all build up is gone. It is normal for it to take a bit for the froth to happen again...

5. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

a piece of sponge worked best for me tucked right at the bottom of the outlet

6. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

7. joelc

joelc Plankton

I have had one of these skimmers for over a month and can't seem to get it to work properly. Did you change the air control valve to a better one? I remember reading somewhere that someone did this and had good results.

8. Click Here!

9. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

I have this skimmer also. I did two of the mods (new air valve and I cut the cuff off of a rubber glove and used it as a gasket under the collection cup). It skims fairly well as far as I am concerned, however, it took 2-3 weeks to break in, and a couple of days after I clean the cup too. I find that the biggest problem is the salt buildup in the air line. I usually have to clean if every couple of weeks. I still get some microbubbles in the tank, so I took the prefilter off the pump and cut a piece out that fits in the outlet and used an elastic to secure it there. After I did that, no more bubbles in the tank. You just need to remember to clean it every now and then. You will notice when to do that when the water starts flowing over the sponge and not through it. I am going to be hooking up my sump next week, so I will be trying this skimmer in there. Hopefully it works, as I have heard they are not very good when used in-sump.