Why does my coralline algae not grow?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Kevin3884, Jun 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

purple up does work for growing coraline but is really dangerous if you aren't testing for everything that's in it. Most people fail in this hobby due to impatience. IMO although coraline looks really nicel, it also consumes a ton of calcium. Be careful what you wish for and if you sit back and watch your tank, you will get it soon enough.

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

I think the other members are right about dosing. Also, have you seeded the tank with coralline? Coralline algae spores aren't as ubiquitous as nuisance algae spores, and you are unlikely to see it appear magically, like diatoms do for example.

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I hope you meant 1300 for Mg. If your Mg is at 3100, nothing would be alive in your tank.

5. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

yeah it seemed like a typo. i once did a "your specific gravity should be 10.24 or so" :) Their hydrometer didn't got that high apparently. :) I told them it was broken and they should get a better one. :)

-just kidding on the last part, but it is funnier that way.

6. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

I used to use purple up as well and then I read that it is more of a gimmic then anything. I have since stopped using it(about 3 months ago) and now I have coralline starting to grow on the glass. Kinda backwards I thought.

7. tom

tom Plankton

Do you know that coralline grows better in low lighting?

8. Click Here!

9. tom

tom Plankton

True! coralline does better in low lighting. the light will bleach out the deep blue color also,good water flow will help .

10. tom

tom Plankton

purple up, good stuff but keep an eye on the calcium, Be careful with it and test the water.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

not sure what to tell you.

i think purple up is a really expensive way of adding what you already have; I have never used it.

the correct way to copious and ultimately annoying and frustrating amounts of coralline algae is to maintain reef proper calcium and magnesium levels. 400 and 1300 plus respectively as mentioned.

the problem I am having in what to tell you is you have a FOWLR scenario. The time and effort needed to maintain these levels accurately for a FOWLR tank seems like a giant use of time... if it is worth it to you, awesome. but is not a necessary effort for a FOWLR tank to do well.

If it were me, which it isn't, I would just wait extra long and let it eventually come on its own. not as fast, but much much easier. unless, of course, you want to "upgrade" to a reef tank ;););)

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

dont add iodide to your tank- it is not necessary with a FOWLR- there are only a handful of aquarium specimens that actually require routine addition of it- and these are not the type of creatures you would find in a FOWLR. This element is replenished on its own with normal water changes.