Why does my Condy look this way?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DangerDave, Nov 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

I had a banded coral shrimp shred a BTA. So dont trust em!!

2. Click Here!

3. noahm

noahm Plankton

Yes, this is in fact the reason that normally a healthy fresh caught white and pink tipped condy will turn brown. It is a shift in the strain and population due to different light params. Brown is a noemal shift.

Of course lots of condys look terrible and pale due to poor care, but a healthy white and pink tip is how they often look in the wild when they are in a lower light envirionment.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I agree with coral reefer as far as color and over all health. The tips do look as if something is nipping at them. Here is a pic of mine now but when my compaqs were losing their spectrum it started looking like yours.It is just waking up here.[​IMG]

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have a condy myself. I would like to know your tank specs, params etc.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I have a Condy / Haitian reef anemone that looks very similar to this. When he came from the store, he was rather white, but after a couple months in my tank he's gotten much healthier and the tentacles have darkened like this. His mouth has a nice purple glow underneath the actinics. Voracious eater as well. He moves around quite a bit, which is my only annoyance with him. Mine looks like this only the tentacles are darker.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hey pharm, of whom were you inquiring?

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I'm sorry.....I should have used the quote. Zach is the individual in question. I have a feeling everything is OK, but I want to know params, lighting, other inhabitants, etc.

Here is a pic of mine when fully extended and happy for reference.

[​IMG]

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Hey John; routine is as follows.

I have 4x 24 Watt T5 HO for lighting - 2 Actinic, 2 10,000k daylights. I turn the actinics on around 6:30- 7:00 AM, and the daylights kick in at 9:00. The daylights turn off at 6:30PM, and I typically turn the actinics off between 7:30-8:30 at night.

I feed him small chunks of table shrimp, which it loves - as soon as I brush his tentacles with it, he grabs it and within a minute he has eaten the shrimp. I feed him like this once a week. He's even started to grow (he's gained a small ring of new tentacles which are getting larger weekly). It's gotten much stronger since it's been in my tank. His tentacles glow a cool greenish color under the actinics with purple tips, and a purplish mouth.

I keep my SG at 1.025, NO2 0, NO3 15, NH4 0, ph 8.3, kh is high but dropping, phosphates have been running at 2.5 but are also dropping (now around 1.5), ca 300 (dosing daily to raise). I use instant ocean salt. I dose with Seachem Ions to keep magnesium up.

I also have a BTA that is wild caught, and he's bright, healthy, tips inflated, and my maroon clown cares for him - when I feed frozen foods, he'll sometimes spit chunks into the anemone, which as far as I can tell, do get eaten. The maroon is also quite the housekeeper, always entertaining as he scoots sand away with his tail, and picks up shells in his mouth and swims them across to the other side of the tank. Interesting little fellow.

Inhabitants: Maroon clown, Coral beauty, 6 line wrasse, lawnmower blenny, 2 yellow tail damsels, Haitian anemone, BT anemone, basket starfish, peppermint shrimp, cleanup crew

Corals/Other: Zoas, mushrooms, Xenia, purple gorgonian sea fan

1 person likes this.
  11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

LOL!!!!!! Boy did I screw that one up. I meant DangerDave. Looks like you have your stuff together ZachB. Thanks. You must have been wondering Why does he want to know this?. Oops. My apologies. So.......DangerDave. What are your exact params? I would like numbers if you have them. Your lights look good, but how old are they?

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I was curious why you asked for my params ... lol ;D