Why do my acans do this?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by SaltyClown, Feb 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Everyday about an hour or so after the lights go on, my acans look dried up. Then they'll get a lil puffy for a few hours, then about 2 hours before the lights go out, they look like crap again. They also look like this the next day after a night feeding. Does this happen to your acans? I've had them almost a month and there are no new heads.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Mine do. I never really gave it any worry.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Generally what I go by, is if they are closing up much before the end of the light cycle, it's too much light for them. Sometimes moving them a couple of inches one way or the other makes a big difference. A little too much flow can do the same thing.

5. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

6. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

My acans have always done the same thing. Drives me nuts, I have just come to accept the fact that acans do not do well in my reef even though all myother lps do along with some sps leathers and softies. I have seen my flame pick on them once in awhile and think it may be the culprit as I had acans for about 6 months look great before their decline. Fast forward a year later and 2 new colonies since the old 2 died and they just do not look right after being in my tank for only a few days.

I have frogspawn, hammer, trumpet, elegance, stylphora, xenia, jasmine polyp, blue mushroom, stylophora, montipora, and more all doing terrific. I have seem the angel nip on the sps and the acans only and I think even though its very rarely its enoguh to affect them so they dont open. They do extend feeder tentacles at night and inflate for a small bit in the morning before looking shriveled all day.