Why do LFS people have to lie

Discussion in 'Coral' started by dinkanber, Oct 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

All was probably well with your water when the LFS tested it so I doubt that they lied. Like I said, the fish waste is what's causing the spikes. I wouldn't do anything, including water changes while the tank adjusts to the fish. If you do water changes, you will remove what is needed for the bacteria to catch up to the new bioload that the fish produces. Just let it ride and keep testing your water. If your levels don't drop in a few days, then you need to find out why.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

If you paid $60 for a shroom, kenya & xenia you need to take your money somewhere else. That price is outrageous. A check with the local reef club or craigslist could gotten you those for pennies on the dollar. I know some people out there dont even try to sell kenya or xenia, they toss them in the trash or flush them. Yes that isnt the way to go about things but it happens.

4. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

Well. From what I've seen with the stores around here that was the normal price. I don't know anyone that have reef tanks. There is a club but I Havnt got involved with it yet. I'm still trying to figure out if I can do this. My xenia shriveled up last night and hasn't come back around. I don't know why. My Kenya tree is lopped over a little as well bit not shriveled. Is this just shock of tank.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Yeah, they should perk up after some time to adjust.

Michael Rice
    Marine Engineers
    Sent from Tapatalk

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

where are you from? in my local reef club people try to sell these corals for $1 but then they end up just giving them away. average sps price is 10-20$... Even the nicest sps are rarely above 30-40$

7. dinkanber

dinkanber Skunk Shrimp

im in dallas.thats good to know about the prices.i think i will try to find something better.Ive been to all the fish only stores and i cant seem to find much for $10.Mushrooms and thats about it.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Why do people blame the LFS when they don't have a clue with what is going on and are quick to assume the issue is the LFS? Did you ask the LFS about it? I am sure they would have been glad to explain to you the phenomenon of when you add fish it creates waste which then goes through the nitrogen cycle. This then causes a brief cycle until your bacteria catches up to your bioload.

I would not do any water changes or add any sort of bacteria. I am a fan of letting your tank do everything itself. A well setup ecosystem in a box will be able to handle the shift in bioload and balance itself out quickly.

10. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

I too doubt that the LFS is lying either. They can make mistakes, and we probably make even more. Too many mistakes, and ...well.... that's a different story.

As to the prices, depending on what you got, you probably paid fair price at a LFS. My lfs charges $6/kenya tree stalk, and $12/xenia stalk, and $10-$15 for a nice mushroom. Get 3 kenyas, 3 xenia's, and a mushroom and you are there. But like others mentioned, these are easy corals that spread fast and are available for a lot less (or free) on the hobby side of things. I've overpaid for quite a few and just thought I'd pass on my experiences. If you aren't sure where to look, post a wanted ad with what you are looking for and your area, you may be surprised (or not!). But then you also have to be a bit more careful about hitchhikers, although I'm not 100% of what comes from the store either.

It helps a lot to relax knowing that if you lose a coral you are only losing $10 versus $40 :). But your tank is going to be fine and they should be relaxing and unfurling shortly....

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

When I was in Dallas several years ago I know there was a couple different reef clubs. Take a look around & see what you can find. Yes LFS will sell things like that for $20 a pop. One of the shops in St. Louis sells theirs for $15 a frag and they have a 4ft cube overran with it. I also know my last reef meeting in St. Louis (same day) there was like 6 frags of kenya left free to a good home.