Why Do Bubble Anemones Change from Bubbles to None?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by dumbderk, Feb 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

:laugh5: And who says you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Are these your BTA in the pic? Wow they have great color! What type are they? Rose? Where did you get them? My lfs has them but they are $85 and I am not wanting to drop that kind of cash on one right now.

1 person likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes those are mine, I took that tank down in Oct. I think and sold them all. They are indeed RBTA.

Look on Craigslist and at local reef clubs, they go for a lot cheaper. Clones are pretty easy to come by if you get the word out.

The two smaller ones are clones of the larger one. I got the large one for 60.00 at the LFS.

Thanks for the compliment.

5. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

$85 hah, that is nothing, here in michigan they are mugging you at $150

6. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I have seen a species tank that only had RBTA and clowns, and it was awesome!!! If I ever do a species tank, this will be what I do...

7. xavier613

xavier613 Astrea Snail

I think the strain of BTA that you get determines if they will keep the tips or not. my buddy has one in a 120 gallon that is literally half the tank. its about 24x24 around, not stretched out. and it has NEVER split. hes had it for 15 years. It is the healthiest thing in the world. But no bubble tips. never did have em.

I however got a few (4) from a local reefer to me, and all of these even when the size of a quarter, have had bubble tips. now they are roughly 7" and still hold the bubbles. They are also a lot different looking than his, and much much brighter red, almost an orange.

So i think that there are many types of btas and certain ones hold certain tentacles.

8. Click Here!

9. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

That makes sense, but if this is true ^^^^^, then the 2 BTAs that split from Corailline's big BTA would have no bubble tips. If your theory is correct Corailline's 2 little BTAs would be the same type of BTA as the one that they split from, in turn making them have no bubble tips...but they do have bubble tips. You could be right, but I honestly dont know...LOL ;)
    JJL

10. xavier613

xavier613 Astrea Snail

in that case, let me clarify what i define as "Bubble Tips"
    This is my biggest one.
    1st pic under all actinics. right before lights out.
    2nd picture is mid day. all lights on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

my RBTA had bubbles when I put it in the tank and held them for a couple days. Has slightly inflated its tentacles about 5 times since then. I switched to LED lighting and turned them all the way up over the course of a couple days, it moved right to the top of the tank and soaked up all the lighting... no bubbles. It's moved directly in the path of the outflow current... no bubbles, it's moved into my cave with very little flow... no bubbles. I feed it 3 times a week... no bubbles. I wait 1-2 weeks between feeding... no bubbles. Granted, my percs haven't taken hold in it yet so maybe that'll help, but thus far none of those things has seemed to effect my RBTA. It's certainly possible the RBTAs have different genetic signaling factors for bubbling (one may bubble under light while another bubbles under flow) but mine is a puzzle right now. I figure let it be and see what happens.

12. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

Both Xavier and Coraillines RBTA are beautiful.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011