why do anemone split?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by strega168, Oct 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. strega168

strega168 Plankton

they were up open and fully extended then they took off under the rock and in between the rocks and emerged as 4 instead of 2? at the risk of sounding really off how do I feed them? how big? How much? and just regular stuff from the grocery store?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I go to the seafood section at the local store, and grab whatever looks fresh. Cut into 1/2 inch pieces or smaller. Place food directly on the tentacles nearest the oral opening. For those anemones once a week if they will take it. Remove any uneaten pieces so they do not foul the tank. They make not take it at first but just try every couple days, and if they do not take do not force it. Some people feed a small fish called silversides that you can buy at the fish store, but raw seafood works just as well IMO.

4. strega168

strega168 Plankton

thank you soooooo much for your advice and taking time to share... I will give it a shot tomorrow :)

5. Corailline

Your very welcome and good luck. I am sure with a little fine tuning it should come together for you.

6. strega168

strega168 Plankton

this is a picture from this afternoon... the anemone is eating so im keeping my fingers crossed
    [​IMG]

7. strega168

strega168 Plankton

T[​IMG]his is the latest pic since the split

8. Click Here!

9. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

I don't like that look. Everything testing okay?

10. strega168

strega168 Plankton

yes just did a water change today... they are actually looking wayyyyyy better than when they first split. I posted some pics in my album if you want to check them out? they are eating too...

11. Corailline

Yea I think the splitting took it's toll and they need some supplemental feedings routinely for a couple of months. The length of the tentacles should start to return. If it was all about the lighting they would be bleach but their not. Good color just looks stunted. Just make sure the parameters stay in check as well. IMO

12. strega168

strega168 Plankton

should i be feeding them daily? weekly? The guy at my aquarium store was like NO dont feed them every day yada yada yada idk I feel like i went in to give birth to one baby and came out with 9 lol now what? to tell you the truth I bought my whole set up from this guy on craigs list... he came set it up and promised to walk me through this whole thing and Bam he was gone! and here I am with you... not that thats a bad thing but??? heehee