why do anemone split?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by strega168, Oct 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. strega168

strega168 Plankton

i have had my55 gallon tank since July of this year... I bought two large green bubble anemone and they both took off after about 2 weeks of thriving and split into 4 now they are all weird and closed hanging out under the rocks? i am really concerned they are freaking me out!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and Welcome,

BTA's split routinely for two reasons IME.

1. Less than ideal water parameters, thus a method of self preservation. It is common to see one split shortly after introduction to a tank secondary to the stress of acclimation.

2. Sufficent feedings, or even too much food.

I would not worry about it as long as they appear healthy with good coloration, and fully extended the majority of the time. If they appear to be shriniking in size and loosing their coloration then you should worry. Also the tentacles appear stubbyier in an BTA having problems.

Would love to see some picture of them if you get a chance.

:)

4. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I'm sure someone with more experience than I will be able to give you all the truths, but from what I have heard it can be caused by stress. The anemone splits when it feels it is in danger. ie: bad water conditions or more likely not enough food. It splits when signs are bad as a defense because twos smaller ones have a better chance of surviving than one bigger one.

again the arguement could be made that it is splitting because the conditions are perfect to support two of the same anemones.

either way I think its some sort of binary fission, which boils down to reproduction to ensure the species continues its existence.

EDIT: I guess corailline types faster than me, beat my post by 5 minutes, hah.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree with stress, especially if they have been in your system for awhile..

6. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

the split for propogation in my experience. I started with 1 and it split into 7 eventually.

7. strega168

strega168 Plankton

thank you so much for all your opinions... this is the first time I have joined a forum of any type and am really trying to figure all this out :)

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Glad to have you here ;D

It will help to narrow it down if you provided your water parameters

Ammonia
    Nitrates
    SG
    pH

Just for starters.

Tank lighting and a picture really help as well.

You will enjoy the forum, it is a great place to get information and give advice. Just ask questions and you will get whatever guidance you need.

10. strega168

strega168 Plankton

my nitrates were a little high at 20 but the rest of the tank is perfect... I don't remember the exact numbers? I left my sheet at my salon where our tank resides. so I will be doing a partial water change on Monday. I posted pics of the anemone on my gallery from start to finish, please check it out... I have great lighting I will have to get back to you on the exact name of both.

1 person likes this.
  11. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

They don't look happy in those pictures. Is that mid day or when the lights just went on? Nitrate at 20 is not good either. Good luck with the battle.

12. Corailline

Are you feeding them at all ?

And they look like they are too far away from the lighting, as in the light is too far away from the rock work. BTA's are not the most demanding light wise so most decent lighting systems can maintain them IMO.

I would start giving them small pieces of raw seafood, like shrimp, scallops.... Once a week, and do some water changes as well.

Thanks for putting up the picture that really helps.

This is what healthy BTA's should look like. Nice color, expanding well, full in appearence.

[​IMG]