Why can't I keep pulsing xenia? =(

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by flynhawaiianz28, Dec 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey guys, while I was on here I've been meaning to post this for a bit but over the past 6 months or so I have bought two frags of pulsing xenia and I had no luck what so ever with keeping it in my nano tank or my 90 gallon. I always hear about how it grows so fast and is easy to take care of but it seems to be the complete opposite with my tanks. I get the corals home and go through the whole process and both times the pulsing xenia seemed to "melt" and finally die. I wanna know what in the world I am doing wrong =( 8 can manage to keep GSP, which isn't hard to do at all along w/ a variety of mushrooms and some zoas as well. Any ideas what is goin wrong or what I can do to keep pulsing xenia because I want to give it another shot here soon?

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

xenia can be funky at times. I started with 2 colonies from 2 of my friends tanks. one shriveled down to nothingness for no reason I could find, and the other is thriving and taking over my back glass as I type this.

~Will.

4. flynhawaiianz28

Idk if I got two bad frags or what? Maybe the water was just that different in the pet store tank compared to my dt tank but idk really.....I just thought it was supposed to be relatively easy to care for and that it can spread like crazy in the right conditions

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I was thinking bad frags or it didn't like the transport from the lfs to your house. I would be happy, usually people want to kill it before it takes or and chokes their other corals.

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Your water is to clean.

7. flynhawaiianz28

haha too clean? never heard of that before but it is only about 20 min or less in the transport time but I like the coral and not really worried about it taking over at all I just want to get a frag that will stay alive and if I decide to get another soon it will be my third try :/

8. Click Here!

9. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

did you expose your xenia to the air when you were putting it in your tank ?

10. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

they are a pain in too many ways

11. flynhawaiianz28

come to think of it i may have exposed it to air for a very brief second trying to transport it but then again I know my friend that just got it, had to of exposed it to air when putting it in his tank cause his is thriving somehow and don't get me wrong, he is a good friend but he isn't the brightest crayon in the box lol so it is almost frustrating that he can get it to live in his tank and I cant mine when I spend so much more time on maintenance and checking parameters than he does.

12. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

Some corals are like that. Everyone swears that green star polyps grow like weeds and are a pain as well, but for some reason I cannot keep them alive in my 120G. I can keep SPS, LPS, Xenia, Ricordia, Zoanthids, but not GSP.