Why Buy Spectrapure Maxcap vs. CSPDI

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by MyBoyGus, Oct 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

I've seen enough argument to get a Spectrapure. I will be buying one of these this week. But I haven't found a strong reason to buy a Maxcap for an extra $100 over the CSPDI.

From what I see on their site:
    Multi Point TDS meter vs. single point dual probe
    An extra DI Cartridge?
    Longer cartridge life

I don't mind spending the extra $100 IF the value is there. I would rather buy the right one the first time.

I do have an algae problem, and recently cyanobacteria. I have been buying my water from 3 different LFS since day one. I do run a phosphate/carbon reactor. I do run a sump with macro algae. I only feed Rod's Original and PEMysis every other day.

Thanks for your opinions.:confused:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The MaxCap uses an individually hand tested and guaranteed in writing RO membrane guaranteed to be better than 98+% rejection rate. The CSP-DI uses a batch tested RO membrane which should also give 98+% but is not guaranteed to do so other than Spectrapures satisfaction guarantee and warranty. Both membranes are treated with a special proprietary process to improve their GPD and rejection rate and both are shipped wetted and sealed in a special mylar foil bag for freshness while others ship dry off the shelf membranes and often charge more.

The MaxCap adds the MaxCap DI cartridge which will make the DI last at least 3.5x longer between changes so is a big long term cost saving feature.

You already pointed out it includes two dual inline TDS meters for 4 monitoring points.

Personally I would say if your tap water TDS is over 150 or so and you make much water at all, the MaxCap will begin to pay for itself quickly. My first MaxCap paid for itself in just about a year in Phx with a TDS over 600 most times, it would have been about two years in normal TDS waters. You don't list where you are located in your profile so we can only guess at your tap water quality.

Add up the cost of 4 or 5 DI replacements over a year or two and you are money ahead with the MaxCap.

Spectrapure is a sponsor here on 3Reef and has a Sponsors Forum where you can address questions like this to them directly.

4. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for the reply AZDesertRat.

I added my location per your suggestion (St. Louis, MO), I don't know why I didn't do it to begin with.

If I underestand correctly, the purity of the water "should" be the same between the two units. But I have a better chance of getting the best water quality with the MaxCap. And in the long run I would be better off with the MaxCap value wise.

I just checked my Water district website and the last listed TDS was 500MG/L. Of course this was in 2002.

Wasn't looking for the company line on the differences, but input from people like yourself how seem to know from experience. I've seen your posts on other RO/DI threads and appreciate your input.

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

With a TDS of 500 you are similar to us in Phoenix, get the MaxCap for sure. Yes they will deliver similar water quality but at 500 TDS the MaxCap will run circles around the CSP-DI and pay for itself in the first year.