Why Bash Petco more then other LFS?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by sticksmith23, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Why? It all depends on the staff. I bought gold fish there before and they lasted until my cousin dumped the entire container of fish food in the tank and killed them all.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

2. Click Here!

3. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I've learned a lot from reading forums, not only about fish tanks, but also about people in general. And let's just say, you can't put faith in what EVERY online community member has to say. I find it rather odd how most people on a forum are a self proclaimed experts, when the truth of the matter is, they're just regurgitating something that they read some place else. The best thing you can do is to live it and form your own judgements from those experiences.

4. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

exactly, thank you.

although there are proven and required forum laws:
    mantis shrimp murder every tank occupant, and they shatter all glass regardless of thickness
    anemones will die unless a tank is a year old
    odyssea lights will cause every house to spontaneously combust
    petco is waging the modern day SW fish holocaust

lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Lmao.

6. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Never thought of it like that! Thanks

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I have never seen a nice saltwater section in any Petco/Petsmart. I haven't seen this in just one store in one city... but across states and throughout cities. Actually, across countries, because I went into one in Newfoundland Canada in July. It's not bashing when you are sharing your experiences of repeated occurrences.

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

have you been to any of the Petco super stores (the ones that have the improved marine section)? I know they did some pilot ones around 6 years ago, but I never went (no need to shop there)

10. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

You are correct that Petco on its tank sale, and many companies with sales in general, treat those products as a loss leader to get people in the door and make money in other ways.

For cell phones it's entirely different. The company I work for does 9 figures in prepaid cell phone/plan sales and I have a lot of exposure to the business. Most people don't know this, but we are all getting taken to the cleaners by the cell phone carriers. For years they've pushed annual contracts on us by subsidizing the new awesome phones that go along with them. All the while they have suppressed development of handsets in the prepaid market. Do you know you can get all the same features of an annual contract on a monthly prepaid plan? (e.g. unlimited minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data). The kicker is that you can save $1000/yr on average by going prepaid (even after you factor in the discounted handset you get). Can't get that latest handset in prepaid? That's changing. Apple is working on a prepaid iPhone and numerous Android phones are now in the prepaid market. Europe is almost 100% prepaid, it's a way of life. The prepaid market in the US has been artificially suppressed by the major carriers. When Sprint bought Boost and jumped into the prepaid market in a big way, it blew the lid off the whole deal and now Verizon, T-Mobile and others are reluctantly following suit. Anyway, in short, the cell phone discounts are used as a way to get you to sign up for a 2 year contract, not as a loss leader like a sale.

The Kindle Fire strategy is yet another discounting strategy. In this case, Amazon is trying to break into the tablet market. To do so quickly they offer their new product at an insanely low price to gain market share. Once they gain market share, and with it a following, they can offer higher priced products (ostensibly with more features) and make their money. They will also drive down the price of the Fire's components and construction and gain some margin there. So their strategy is a market entrance strategy vs. a loss leader strategy (sales) or a subscription sales strategy (cell).

Can you color cats? Spray paint? I'd love to turn our cats neon green and pink with spiked mohawks. My wife may not approve, but I'd think it was cool :)

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Most of the time I go to Walmart, there are never any employees in the pet department. They look confused when you ask them to bag a fish lol. I have bought from them in the past though. I have noticed that they are moving away from live fish though.

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Call: 888-824-PALS(7257) to fix your PetCo

I forgot to mention I have called PetCo corporate on a few locations for poor Saltwater conditions in their stores. PetCo sends people out to that location to verify your complaint and will address the issue, so make sure to call them and tell them how you feel about your local PetCo.

Call: 888-824-PALS(7257) to make your local PetCo better.

One thing I was told they can't address is their lighting, the tanks are classified as "Holding Tanks" so adding T5s is not allowed.

1 person likes this.