Why Bash Petco more then other LFS?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by sticksmith23, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

I have no beef with petco. They have items I need fast and don't have to wait for them to ship or pay shipping charges. The one near my house has a really nice saltwater section and I was very surprised when I first noticed it, as after reading tons of people bashing the store online, I was shocked to see that it was completely opposite of what all the online resident experts were saying. The prices were very good too!!! I haven't purchased anything from it though.

2. Click Here!

3. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

They aren't losing money. They are losing money on one item but making up for it on others. Home depot does this every day all day long not just on sales. Think of it like advertising. Yes they are losing money but its helping them make more.

posted with tapatalk please ignore bad spelling and grammar

4. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

It's called loss leader. Check wiki. Happens every day.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

For the most part, livestock is a lost leader for Petco... so if its not making money, how is it being supported? Not by its own numbers, that is for sure.

I've sat in on Petco Dist Meeting a few years ago. Rather interesting to be a wall flower in that meeting ;)

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i think its mostly rumors that are spread. ive heard tons about petco such as using cyamide, or using dynamite to fish.

i personally think that if petco had a good selection they would be an alright lfs. the only reason i do not tend to go to them is the only ones in my area really only have clowns and yellow tangs. and alot of the times the clowns pick on the tangs so their fins are ripped to heck.

but other than that i have bought anemones and corals from them that did great until i got rid of them or still have them.

but i really give props to their supplier. if their fish can last that long in those conditions you know that is some top quality livestock from the start. i think this mainly when i see carpet anemones in the tanks under flourescent lighting.

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Petco has NO hand in collection thus has NO use of CN or dynamite. Dynamite is not a tool for the capture of LIVE MO (its used mainly for food fish). Not saying it has not been used, but rather its not a tool typically employed (given the kill rate - and hemorrhages it creates in fish - non sellable).

Petco uses the same suppliers as most LFS.

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

It all depends what PetCo you go to.

Here in Rockford, IL our PetCo is outstanding with Saltwater. The fish department leader (Penny) really knows her stuff. The tanks always are clean and fish are always healthy. When a Fish is sick she puts it in its own tank with a cleaner shrimp and meds.. I typically head over there every Wednesday and get all my livestock before it hits their water.

I have no idea where they get their LS but the same truck "on the same day" heads over to PetLand minuets later. So id say talk to your local PetCo and find out when they get their fish and show up. PetLand charges 85.00+ for a Bubble Tip compared to 25.99 @ PetCo.

Hope this helps.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I'm glad somebody else is having positive experiences with Petco lol. I know it all has to do with the staff in the store, but that goes with any big chain. There are Walmarts that I wouldn't even go in lol.

11. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Lmao, I remember when Walmart used to sell FW. NO ONE can argue that they had no business doing that.

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Some Walmarts around me still do lol. Now that is someplace that I don't think that I would ever buy a fish from.