Why are there two area clubs?

Discussion in 'RARS' started by Blooper, Oct 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blooper

Blooper Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm been curious for awhile as to why there are the "Sierra Reefers" and there is the "Reno Area Reef Society"?

I've been out of the fish game for quite some time, I used to work at and briefly managed Ofishal back in the day, and at that time there was only the Sierra Reefers.

It seems that there aren't enough reef enthusiasts in reno/sparks/Carson...northern Nevada, to support and fill the ranks of two separate clubs.

Who is the leadership in RARS, I would love to participate and start from the ground up with getting people back into reefing.

I was quite jaded and tired of aquaria when I left ofishal, but now that I've had a few years off, and am doing it purely as a hobby, I'm as excited as ever.

Just my thoughts,

Blooper

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Personal differences. There is no activity in either club now. Both of the forces behind each club have dropped out of reefing for various reasons.

4. Blooper

Were the personal differences coming fro
    the forces behind the two clubs? If so, I would think this would be an excellent time bring the scraps back together again.

Even if there was only 8-10 people between the two groups...that's enough for a restart.

I dealt with in the last few months a handful of other hobbyists in the area that are still enjoying what they're doing, and I have their contact information so rallying them shouldn't be too difficult.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I believe so and yes it could be a good time to try to get another club started with the members from both clubs.

6. Blooper

Well, if any wants to get together over coffee or a beer and talk reef club. Send me a pm.

7. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

I'm up for getting a club going again as well. Just got back from sac with some new sps frags

8. Click Here!

9. chevellesteve

chevellesteve Plankton

i live in lovelock . i am looking to join a new reef club. i was with m.a.r.s. in sacramento for a long time . i would be willing to help out

10. AquaGal

AquaGal Plankton

Anything happen with this?

Been out of the loop for a while too. We only knew about the Sierra Reefers, but stopped being involved in about 2008. Would love to know about anything new in the area.

GRR

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Not much going on. Sierra Aquatics and another LFS that only does salt that is on Longley last I heard are the only LFS in town. Ofishal may be coming back at the Pond place on Marietta and Glendale.