why are some led lights SOOO expensive?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I'm not into green not because I think being oil dependent is great, but because the green solution is a false solution and scheme to make money . I like LEDs but, until they become cheaper they are not a true solution.(great for tank though) People don't realize that green products hybrids,windmills,etc. use more energy to make than they save. It's all a bunch of false promises....People don't understand where electricity comes from. It's just a conversion of energy from the standard methods(nuclear,oil,coal) you even loose energy in the process so really you are back to square one. Electric cars are a joke even though it has a electric motor, oil still powers it and the world. CFL's are horrible, they should be removed from the market.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

The way how you can control each led and giving it special effect are for sure "gimmicks". I don't see MH got the same functions which up to this point still the choice for most ppl. So I don't see why LED must have those functions.

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

careful Matt, there is strict enforcement on here if you take it to the political level and we're both getting a bit off topic! ;D

5. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Yeah I know, :p I think though the truth is truth. I will stop at that. Although I find it's taking a long time for LEDs to cheapen.....

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Way too blanket of a statement. Water has been powering mills and/or making electricity for hundreds of years without the use of oil. Wind and solar are becoming bigger and bigger (both quantity and size!), again without the use of oil. Are they end all answer, no, but it is a start.

A good portion of the worlds power comes from nuclear reactors, especially Europe, but even a good amount in the US. Not a renewable source, but still not oil.

Hybrids/electric cars are not a joke. They are mostly powered by the grid (which may or may not be powered from an oil burning power plant), however electric motors are far more efficient (up to 90% vs. I think 30% for gas burning motors). This, plus regenerative braking, are where the big benefits come in. In the end they are far more efficient than petrol fueled cars.

And why aren't LED's a solution? Car manufacturers (especially higher end) are all switching to them for all lighting. They are relatively cheap to make, very efficient, and last years and years. The whole debate of LED's vs. other lighting for reefs will go on for awhile, but eventually LED's will be the norm. By that time, the next big thing will come out and all the naysayers will say that they will never work and LED's are forever. It's called innovation, Without, we would still be living in caves.

So, bottom line is this is all way off topic and go Patriots!

2 people like this.
  7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I think Tom Brady is going to have an efficient and powerful year, much like a hydroelectric power plant.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I highly approve of this message. ;D

10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Here in the US, renewable energy sources are still producing marginal amounts of power. Fossil fuels are still king
    [​IMG]

But still in the US, It takes that inefficient motor to produce that electricity. Diesel tech is available now and outperforms gasoline by huge margins. We are just finally seeing it pushed here in the US my multiple German car companies like VW, Audi, BMW and Mercedes. Notice that in Europe that the hybrid craze is virtually non-existent. Why? It’s because today’s hybrids offer no real gains over diesel.

Why does the automotive industry use LED. They do it’s efficiency gains over the typical incandescent bulb allows them to use thinner gauge wire and get by with a smaller alternator. Both of which shave off overall manufacturing costs. They really could care less how long they last.

11. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I think I did mention nuclear....I do think LED has been the best effort so far, but they still cost to much for a consumer. Ok sure you can get your LED headlights on you car, but full LED headlights are still only offered on high end and you usually have to pay for them. It's $1600 to get LEDs on an Audi A8 which is already a $78,000 car. Not everyone is made of money. To make the electric batteries for an electric car uses more energy than they save. I think natural gas would be the best alternative as you can find it anywhere there is decaying organisms and it's renewable. Windmills only work when the wind is blowing, but water turbines do make sense as they are always producing. The problem with solar is to power a factory or something of that nature you need lots of land for all the panels. Until another fuel can be used Diesel is the best for cars. I could have a full sized diesel VW passat that is more fuel efficient than most hybrids and if I need utility diesel works better than petrol. I would rather not say more.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Agreed, I was referring to nuclear only at 20%. In Europe it is 50% I think. The renewable % will definitely climb in the coming years though ;)

Diesels are certainly more efficient than gas (about 40% vs. 30, which is still 33% more efficient!). Still does not come close to electric motors which was my point. Not all electric cars even have a gas generator. Those that do act as an alternator (as you stated). Either way, they are achieving 100+ MPGe (equivalent) compared to gas (electric cars vs. hybrids which are 40-50 MPG of course). This takes into account the cost of the electricity vs. gas. As I stated, they are far more efficient, there is no denying that. :)

I feel like you made my point. They are cheaper to make, are more efficient and so last longer. I feel like we are saying all the same things, just in different ways.