why are some led lights SOOO expensive?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

grim, could you inform me why you need to be able to control each led separately? (really want to know what the benefit is)

and your right i am just starting out with corals. and only have maybe a few hundred dollars worth.

do you really have $10,000 + in corals?! thats crazyyyyyy!

2. Click Here!

3. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I know you know a lot about lights. So what do you think of 3 of the new controller reebreeders with four 30" or 36"(whichever fits in the hood) actinic T5s.

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

sols are 400 right now and with the vega coming out you can proabably grab them cheap. or if you already own the sol you can order an upgrade package to convert the sol to vega for 250 ish a light.

I probably wont do that but i do want the wireless controller for sure.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

By the way, I think a lot of the value that Logan offers. But I am specifically answering your question as to why the high $tag of the other lights. And why they still sell so well..

As far as the Ecotech Radion... I think it's overpriced.

1 person likes this.
  6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That light is set up with a custom option that allows you to specifically choose each led color. So you can have a very large range of different colors in a light. By having each channel separate it allows you to have different lights with different color option rather than just choosing the same 4 colors in every puck. It also allows you to have some cool gimiky stuff. But the real reason, is that it's the ultimate in spectrum choice which is LEDs weakness to start with.

And yeah, that's about the amount I have invested in livestock. Last I counted I have over 100 different sps species, 20 lps and a pretty extensive zoa collection.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I really like his new lights. With a tank over 24" deep though, make sure you get his cree lights, not the Bridgelux though. I would consider actually using the t5s for white and the leds for blue. That was my plan for my 40b prior to deciding on doing Azoox (so who cares about light). T5's full spectrum lights are amazing, and led does actinic like a champ. Best of both worlds IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

man i want you job if you can afford all that! haha thats awesome. but yea i saw $800 for a light and it blew my mind.

10. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Are his new lights with controllers cree or bridgelux...it doesn't say on the website. Could i use a Digital Aquatics controller to control the cree units? I though that if there were dark areas with the reefbreeders the T5s would fill in the spaces and make good spectrum. I was thinking about it and temp. control is a priority for me i would like to avoid a chiller at all costs.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

You'll have to ask him. Logan is a straight up guy. The business dealings I have had with him have all been very good. He built my supplements custom for me a few months back and I have sang there praises ever since.

1 person likes this.
  12. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Penetration is no big deal, with the right optics bridgelux fixtures would have no problem growing sps at the bottom of your tank. The vegas look cool, but from an LED enthusiast, not a competitors stance, they have the trade off of power for spectrum. 8 leds grow coral, 12 are for colors. It is defenitely a step towards the next gen, and without personally trying one, I cannot say how good they are. I defenitely agree with their choice to lose some of the reds, those osrams are powerful. Also, to answer another question, I am not a fan of just crees over just bridgelux, if it is a mix, that wins, but cree just doesnt have the reds and violets that work best, 620-630nm red is a little less beneficial compared to 660nm, and 630nm combined.