why are some led lights SOOO expensive?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Getting deeper into it, all of those pictures were taken by me over my tank, including the PAR measurements. They are an OEM supplier, but the Evergrow guys are great. They used a lot of suggestions of mine based on their previous light I owned into creating this new light... and I don't even have any ties to the company. If only they started using Cree XT-E like I've wanted for awhile now......

Reefbreeders does sell some of their lights, but also warranties and services them if need be, and has other custom options available, so there is extra value there. Shipping costs to China are astronomical if you were to have to ship it back on your own.

A 12 unit group buy would get you a decent discount, but not a $100 price. You would have to buy almost 500-1000+ units for that kind of price on your own. If you can, I will gladly buy one from you :)

Its not like Ecotech actually manufactures their lights in the US. Not even Apple does that.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Why would you be under the impression that their lights are all their own design? they've been pretty upfront with what is theirs and what is being shipped in! And yes, have fun returning those lights in a timely manner;)

1 person likes this.
  4. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

LOL, the ratio is ours, we put our name on it, provide a usa warranty, and sell it. A lot of companies do something similar, but we were the first to add colored LEDs to the mix. The SuperNova is our original design. And no, our price is no where near $100, we only make about $50 a unit when it is all said and done, pretty reasonable, no? Also, the direct price from china is $300 if you are not a retailer, $320 for a custom ratio like ours. I wish they were a hundred bucks a unit, we could retail them for less than $200, and no fixture could beat it at that price.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

It shouldn't matter if you make $300 a unit. You took a risk by ordering 300+ of them, you have to market them, ship them, warranty them. Hold them, find them and get licensing to do so.

People have no idea what it takes to run a business....

6. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Despite not having all the bells and whistles of the premium fixtures, if they can ever get the price of the light down to $200, the value would be off the charts. They are surprisingly well built units, and would be perfect for people anxious to try leds without spending a fortune.

The Bridgelux leds used in these are about 30% less efficient than Crees, but have more colors available. The usage of 55 leds help compensate. I have a full internal breakdown + pics down to the pcb board on another forum that I could post here if desired.

7. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I am not surprised at the quality at all, you and me both know that they have a very professional facility, with the latest in assembly tech, and millions invested in it. Chinese lights get a bad rap, mostly because of peoples visions of a sweatshop where a bunch of sneakers are made, which is not the case. And yes, if only they were that cheap, ;D

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Children make the best electronics anyway... at that age their fingers are small for detail work and their hope has yet to be crushed ensuing higher quality control.

1 person likes this.
  10. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

hahahaha! +1 ^

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

:party-smi

[​IMG]

Much older picture (2010), but suspended from my living room ceiling:
    [​IMG]

Y'all forgot me. :cry:

12. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

And me...

It is currently in a hood, but was built with free hanging in mind.

[​IMG]