why are some led lights SOOO expensive?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Toallhisdoom, Sep 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah I think smaller and multiple builds would be more easily managed.

But there was a thread on here a few months ago of a 6' long DIY led build that was really nice and clean.

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Makes sense....just had a thought.

I used to install car audio for a living and would sometimes use a wire for wiriring up 4 channel amps. All of the wires were in one case....so left front, right front, right rear, and left rear, and siganl were all grouped together. Would something like this work or does the gauge of the wire matter, cuz the wires were pretty small.

Tried to find a link to what I'm talking about but had no luck.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Car stereo installers always have the best under tanks. That's a job that will teach you mad wire management skills. I used to sell car audio, but my install days were short lived.

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Yeah, didn't do it for too long but really enjoyed it. A saying between us was to not look at the installere car to see how well they installed and did wire managment but to look at things they did for friends and other people. Usually would just throw my stuff in and get it going so I could get back on the road....obviously fish tanks are different tho

6. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Not to mention being an electrician. There are wires with 8+ wires in one cable, so it would only be one wire a fixture. The trick is knowing how to place the + and - leads to make it clean. Soldering saves a rediculous amount if space.

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Biocube must install car stereos......his wire management is like heaven.

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

'

lol, its pretty good, but he's a mac/apple guy! Just likes his stuff clean and easily workable;)

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Since we are talking on the subject. I saw the new reef breeders controllable light and was under the assumption the controller was your original design.
    Full Spectrum Dimming Led Aquarium Lights - Buy Dimming Led Aquarium Lights,Dimming 120w Aquarium Led Light,Auto Dimming Led Aquarium Lights Product on Alibaba.com
    But after seeing and contacting this seller, they will do 100 dollar units if group orders can be arranged. Since Obvious mention of markup by ecotech is here. I can only assume That reef breeders does the same and orders a bunch of these so gets them for 100 bucks each and under and then flips them for 3x the price or more? how is that different then ecotech?

Obvious note the difference in quality parts in reg units of ecotech radion versus Reef breeders and not bhazards suped up model.

11. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Hey Im not going to even come close to joining in this debate(points for both sides) but I have to say I think I did a good job DIY-ing these Cree fixtures..so DIY can be clean with out a canopy ans with a little though wire management can be fixed also..

Attached Files:

12. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks man!! :)

Go Apple!!!!

Thanks guys :)