Why Are My Plants Not Growing ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by oceansurf, Sep 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 30 gallon planted discus tank. Both discus are doing extremely well. It is the plants I am having trouble with. They are staying green. They are just not growing. What am I doing wrong ?

I have a new 5000K Flora Sun plant lamp that I run for 12 hours a day.

I dose with Seachum products. ( flourish supplement, Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Phosphorus & Flourish Prime, according to directions)

I have a CO2 injector.

I do biweekly water changes being careful not to siphon too deeply. ( just enough to get off the surface waste & not disturb the mulm that plants thrive on )

I use only sponges in my 2 box filters, alternating the sponges once a month & washing them in the waste water so as not to disturb the bacteria.

My peramiters test well.

What am I doing wrong ? Why are my plants not growing ?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What are the plants and what are the numbers on your parameters? How many bulbs?

4. oceansurf

To be honest with you, I am not sure what all the plants are except for a couple of Amazon Swords. There is another with very thin leaves. When it reaches the surface, you break it off & start another. A discus tank requires warmer than normal temperatures ( around 86 ) But my LPS assured me that these plants would take the heat. He had them in his tank & they were beautiful. Parameters all test well. There is one florescent tube.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You need at least one more bulb. Most plants can't take temperatures above 82 well. The Discus can handle temps at 82 well. If the water is too soft the plants won't do well either. Your dKH will need to be about 5 for the plants to be happy.

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

What length of time are we talking, here? Amazon swords are usually slow growers.

7. oceansurf

It has not been long. Maybe I am just too anxious.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They need time to overcome being transplanted and Amazons are slow growers.

10. oceansurf

I also hear that I may have planted them too deeply. I have made sure that each plant is planted where the crown meets the surface of the gravel.

11. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Check your nitrates too...if its 0 you can prolly dose more of the nitrogen since that is a big thing the plants feed on. Do you have any algae in the tank?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

12. oceansurf

My tank does not have a lot of algae. The siamese algae eaters seem to take care of most of it. I do trim all plants during my water changes & wipe down the sides to remove the slime that is deadly to the discus.