Why Are Anemones under Inverts?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by OldandNew, Dec 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Xenia is a coral, and yeah, mine grows onto surrounding rocks and stuff...about the shrooms....that has always bugged me! I have seen them called 'corallimorphs' which leads me to believe they are a type of coral, but they are also referred to as 'disc anemones' soooooo, which are they really? (not too much latin please!! ;D)

2. Click Here!

3. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

I'm with birdlady on this. Mushrooms are definitely closer to anemones than coral, first they are motile, in having the ability to detach and retach as anemones do, and in the ability of being fed. As well as ricordia which can also be fed. JUST LIKE ANEMONES. :)

Xenia in my opinion are not motile, they're just weedlike. Strong to kill. And let's also remember that corals have many ways of reproducing, so just because a Favite releases a polyp and it falls to the sand below the colony doesn't mean that it is motile.

I agree with anemones being under inverts. Not to mention that there are some compatibility issues as far as proximity goes between corals and anemones. I know that this also happens just between corals, but it is a somewhat greater problem between corals and anemones.

Oh and your corals will never EAT your fish. While I worked Exotic Aquarium I had a couple customers come back pretty upset because their anemone ATE one of their fish. Never seen that happen with a coral. ;D

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Ray, I hope you're happy with yourself. :D See what you started.
    Jim

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=David Guzman Jr link=board=Newbie;num=1102846737;start=0#11 date=12/13/04 at 11:53:55]

Oh and your corals will never EAT your fish.  While I worked  Exotic Aquarium I had a couple customers come back pretty upset because their anemone ATE one of their fish.   Never seen that happen with a coral.   ;D[/quote]

Oh Really? LOL I'm sure that in Eric Bornemans coral book there is a picture of a coral happily devouring a bengaii cardinal :)

John

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

OK then....so Matt needs to move the Corals to the Invert section...then....right? [smiley=book2.gif] [smiley=crazy.gif]

Yup Ray, see what you started! I love chatting on stuff like this ;D

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

But what about the Tunicates??

John :)

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, they are not Cnidarians, are they? I knew that corals and anemones were both cnidarians, but with great visual differences...but apparently not that great after reading that link....

Now I gotta go look this up!!! LOL

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Have fun, and say hello to what could be a distant relative :)

John

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Here ya go :)

http://www.tunicates.com/

"We have known for years that despite their humble appearance, sea squirts, or ascidians, have a number of physical characteristics that are similar to vertebrates," said JGI Director Eddy Rubin. "Through a comparison of their genomes, we can now understand how these relationships are reflected at the molecular level, and how these similar systems and gene sets evolved in different ways over 500 million years from a common ancestor."

" It is as juveniles, however, that ascidians reveal their kinship to humans. One day after an egg is fertilized, it develops into a small tadpole comprised of only about 2,500 cells. The tadpole soon finds a home, settles down, and metamorphoses into its immobile adult form -- but while still in its swimming stage the tadpole has a stiffened rod running the length of its tail called a notochord, the forerunner of our backbone, as well as a primitive nervous system. "