Why am i having so much trouble keeping acros?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Godbert, Jul 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

seems that everything is wrong with the tank. That could be it.

2. Click Here!

3. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

Constructive statement..... thanks to all those who offered advice i am adding baking soda today and i added a nitrate sponge, will get some ammo lock soon

4. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

I have a few in my tank doing great. How old is your tank? For sure more flow! What else is in the tank?

5. Godbert

there are two blue/green chromis in the tank a mushroom and a kenya tree frag

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

There should be no need for any ammonia lock , Unless there is a source of the cause in the system somewhere . Ammonia should be naturally reduced to Nitrites then they should be naturally converted to Nitrates , You have something wrong somewhere or the system is not yet fully cycled ? And don't over look the magnesium a very important and much needed element. This tank been ruining long ? How did you cycle it and when was it finished supposedly cycling ? Reason I ask it appears its still in cycling mode .

7. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

what and how much are you feeding those 2 fish?

8. Click Here!

9. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Took me 8 years to place some in my tank. You have to acclimate them slowly to the top portion of the tank, you want mucho flow but not right on them as this can cause them to recede more so if already ill. You first have to fix your water problems.

10. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Also what kind do you have?

I pulled your pics up and your tank looks fairly new, if infact thats the same tank. You may have some things dieing producing your ammonia in the tank. Did you take that Goniopora back? They never survive

11. Godbert

goniopora died a while ago unfortunately, i feed the two chromis flakes, and the 30 gallon tank has been up about six months, i also used fully cycled water and live rock from a friend who was breaking down a tank, i also let it sit with a damsel or two in it for about a month, as of now there is only a tabling acro and a small hairy acro in there

12. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Is that 150w MH a mogul base or HQI? I tried a mogul base back in the days and really couldnt keep anything other then shrooms in a 30 gallon and that was with actinics as well. Try not to move them around they dont like it. If you have had them in the middle or bottom of your tank for awhile I would move them as high as you can. Thats if they arent already to stressed and get them in some good flow but NOT directly on them. You may have some luck. How are the other corals in your tank?

1 person likes this.