who's turkey basting and not on thanksgiving.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Night-Rida, Mar 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

we have a large and small one here I have used these filters for over 45 yrs and they kick A$$ . Best thing that ever happened to an aquarium for cleaning them up . I mean they make the water sparkle and will filter down to about any size spore of any parasite . The powder is just skeletons of diatoms that have died and fallen to the deep ocean floor and the skeletons are like little honeycombs so you can imagine how small it will filter .

2. Click Here!

3. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

where would you recommend purchasing one of these from?
    do you have to have a sump?

4. meagan1823

oh and could you just buy the diatom filter media and put it in a HOB filter and would it work the same?

5. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

you shouldn't "dust" cyano off LR or sand bed. it needs to be vacuumed off or your just spreading it around you tank.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I haven't used my Vortex on a reef in years. (Too lazy to mess with the diatomaceous earth powder I guess). After I powerhead off my rocks, I just use model FB1 1 micron filter socks from Aquatic Ecosystems.

However, at the shop, the Vortex was awesome. People could actually see what the rocks looked like in the LR curing tanks.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

No, that won't work. You need the Vortex filter too. Vortex Innerspace Products, Inc.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

yes, i 2 am a turkey baster....

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yea I vacuum up as much as possible, and whats floating the in water column is usally filtered in my drip tray filter pad.. which is cleaned daily..
    and what Ive read on cyano, the more thats present in tank, faster it will grow.. I can say the tank is lookin' awesome right now.. built up my LR wall a little last night, after cleaning algae and doing 10% WC..

11. meagan1823

are they are in sump or are there HOB models

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

They now have a hang on model But its basically a old Mason Jar with a pump on top and you set them on the floor or a stool and run them to clean up the tank they can be ran 24/7 but they will strip the water of everything about 10 mins a gallon is all that is needed for a regular maintenance deal . Put the inlet to pump down stream and from where you have the outlet to tank and blast the rocks then it all gets sucked up and into the filters jar and that is caught on the Dacron bag where the diatom powder is caught up on . Its like a billion little honey combs of skeletons and then the water has to pass through all those little microscopic holes .. to get back to the tank