who's going to MACNA 2012

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Dingo, Feb 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1 on raffle tickets. Even though I have the worse luck, it is fun! I did come home last year with 2 ushio MH bulbs that I was needing! Plus the prizes ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Alright, I suppose that answers my question on the raffle tixs as well; I'll stick with the 50 for now.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I am already trying to figure out how I'm going to handle any live stock I buy... I'm thinking cooler with live rock and a pump in it... Should be enough...

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I presumed many of the vendors would ship livestock at the end of the show; is that a bad assumption?

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Bad assumption IME.

Vendors will have been there a better part of a week and are only thinking about getting home at the end of Sunday.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Noted; thanks Gresham. Voice of experience there I presume. ;)

Ugh, that really does complicate things now. Yeah, cooler and a pump. I'd lean towards a seeded sponge rather than a piece of live rock, but either would get the job done. Guess I'll have to bag things just before the flight then. Seems like an awful lot of work, and I don't plan on buying much livestock, but I know I will. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

You should ask for sure, as I had fish shipped by vendors. But honestly, sometimes we are there super late still breaking things down. The opportunity may not even be there as we have been known to run to planes...... and it's a Sunday to boot.

Make sure you get a great deal to make the cargo worth it, because the fish tend to be super stressed once the weekend is over. Usually it's locals that carry home the livestock.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Noted; thank you. I was more focused on the coral aspect of livestock, but point taken.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Been going for over a decade, more than half if it as a exhibitor.

I bring back livestock from a lot of shows. I've never had any issue with TSA and livestock, and my name is close enough to ones on the no fly list that for a few years I couldn't do curbside check-in and my carry on always got bomb swabbed. Than again, I have been in the livestock shipping business for a while, and I am a known shipper... I

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

LOL. Indeed; I'm aware of your last name and your awesome company. ;)

Considering your opinion here is as good as any; does the plan of a temporary cooler/storage tank for the duration of the weekend, followed by bagging things up prior to hotel check-out seem appropriate then? Is there a better way we might not be considering? Obviously that cooler can also work as a checked bag with the contents.