whooooosh fluval :)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by clown1234, Sep 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Thank you! exactly!

All canisters are nitrate factories! (cough)

All mantis shrimp will break your glass! (cough)(cough)

All tanks must be up at least a year for a anemone! (cough)(cough)(cough)

So far I am 0 for 3 on all of those and everything is working just fine.

2. Click Here!

3. pafc64

pafc64 Astrea Snail

Hi :)
    Just to clarify a few points.
    Yes I have ran a canister filter & had issues so I stopped using it that was a long time ago though;)
    In my first post I did say that they become nitrates factories if not cleaned often,& said there not recommended I didn't say "Dont use one" so the flaming is unnecessary

I guess its all just a stab in the dark here too on what filtration will be the best as they only say they are starting a "Marine Tank"

Apart from that there's some good info in this thread:)

4. clown1234

clown1234 Astrea Snail

yer there is good info on here thanks to everyone :) im just a bit of a newbie and not to sure on all this stuff but i suppose everones gotta start somewhere and 3reef is definentely the place to get intel....also my marine tank will consist of clowns and tangs and also keen to get heaps of corals ie lps sps so on :)

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

if i may give my advice take it step by step. a good base to start is a FOWLR tank (fish only with live rock) this does NOT mean that you wont be able to add corals later and convert it to a reef tank, it simply means that you have a good natural filtration base system going (live rock + live sand).

try keeping a few fish first (if you really do plan to get hard corals one day chose your fish wisely) once you have gotten the hang and habits of the fish try a few soft corals who are a little more forgiving that other hard corals and so on and so forth.

patience (i have at times failed in this aspect but not 2 badly so far) and LOTS of pre-purchase research are the key to victory.