Whooo...

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Rustynuts, Sep 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

What do you do when you get another batch? Do they go in the same tank? Wont the larger ones eat the smaller ones? Didn't you say your pair layed again? Can you split the tank somehow to keep the smaller away from the larger? Are you going to sell them to your LFS or what are your plans for the babies once they are big enough?

2. Click Here!

3. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

We have another tank ready, along with a heater and all the necessary to start again. This tank is now a grow out tank, and the next one will become a fry tank when necessary. The parents laid again, but we can't see the eggs now. They might've lost them.

Plans for the babies are... They're gonna be for sale. We've sent a couple of emails off to fish shops to see if they're interested, or we'll sell them on local forums over here in the UK.

1 person likes this.
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Gotta still express how impressed I am by all of this. You've set up a great life-sustaining fry tank. It's very clean looking. The fry look happy. You should be pretty impressed with yourself. As I'm sure you're well aware--you are the sustainer of life. Not quite the giver, but we all have our shortcomings.

:)

5. Rustynuts

Update for today. It's getting harder to take good pics as they don't sit still long enough to get a good close up. Full tank shot will have to suffice.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

I'm counting 15 or 16. Thats awesome. This whole process is really cool. BTW nice thread, you update alot.

7. Rustynuts

There's about 25 , maybe more. There's still one which hasn't morphed, but I doubt he's gonna make it now.

8. Click Here!

9. Rustynuts

Another update pic.

I put a pipe fitting in to distract them and managed a couple while they were staring. This is the smallest one...

[​IMG]

And another community shot...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. cannedmulder

How big do they have to be before you can sell them?

11. Rustynuts

Considerably more than they are at the moment....;D

I'm remembering back to when we bought ours from the shop, and they were about an inch (without tails) and had developed into a nice plum colour. So we'll aim for that sort of size. Possibly about 4-6 months? Maybe? Dunno really. Wait and see. :cheesy:

12. cannedmulder

Thanks for keeping us informed!