Whooo...

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Rustynuts, Sep 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

Sorry, should've thought of that. Here's a pic I took this morning and circled the little devils. The size of the heater at the top should give you an idea of their size.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

so cool!!! I really hope they survive mate:):):)

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Not me, want to though, have 2 pairs that wont cooperate! But we are working on it.

But I can tell you a really god place to look for info on it. MOFIB or Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders its run by an really nice guy named Matt Pedersen and there is a wealth of information on the site. Matt can and will I am sure give you tons of pointers because he currently breeds clowns in fact one of the pairs I have are one of his tank bred pairs.

Good luck!

5. Rustynuts

Well, we're still going with them. We've lost about 20 fry so far which we've removed either dead or failing. So we're into day 6. We can see them actively hunting now, and they're under full lighting, so we've made a big step over the initial hatching which failed.

We're starting them on brine shrimp as of tomorrow, so hopefully that'll bulk them up a bit more, and heading for metamorphosis on day 10.:)

6. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

Wow, can't wait to see what they look like in a week.

7. Rustynuts

Another pic update. These were taken just a few minutes ago. As you can see, they're all at the front of the tank. The reason being that their eyes have developed, and when you lift the lid they follow the light which now shines towards the front of the tank. Consequently they're harder to see. Sorry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Rustynuts

And another brief update.

They've just had their first feed of baby brine shrimp. I made a hatcher yesterday, popped some eggs (decapsulated) into it and bubbled them overnight, then fed them to the fry this afternoon. All the fry are feeding voraciously, spotting shrimps from a good couple of inches away, and darting forward to catch them. Well pleased.

We've also taken the dark covering off the front of the tank so I might be able to gat some better pictures now.:cheesy:

10. Rustynuts

Been busy at work all week, so no updates (sorry).

Anyway, checked the tank this morning and metamorphosis has started! We have one little fella who looks like he's nearly a Tomato Clown, and the rest are starting to go darker. On a sadder note, we're down to about 35 fry left now, and some of the weaker ones are looking decidedly vertical. They're standing on their heads with their noses touching the bottom of the tank, and that has so far meant that they were about to expire, so we expect to lose another 5 or so in the near future.

But I reckon if we can manage to save 15 off this batch then we've done very well. ;) Pics may follow if I can get any decent ones, but they're all hiding towards the rear of the tank right now.

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Nice job!! Very cool. :)

12. Rustynuts

Managed to get a few reasonable pics. Just after feeding time, as you can see.;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files: