Whooo...

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Rustynuts, Sep 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What are you going to do with the babies if you catch them? :confused:

Raising baby clownfish requires very specialized systems and food so if you're interested in doing this, you may want to pick up this book :)

Amazon.com: Clownfishes: Joyce D. Wilkerson: Books

2. Click Here!

3. Rustynuts

Rustynuts Flamingo Tongue

We've had that book for ages, since we went marine a couple of years ago. :)

What are we going to do with the babies? Well, work in progress at the moment. Rotifers and food are ordered and are in shipping as we speak. A trip to the LFS tomorrow should relieve me of enough funds to set up a breeding tank (albeit rather quickly) and then we may have some more success with the next lot of fry.

4. M&T

M&T Astrea Snail

Wow how exciting! We wish you the best of luck! Congrats!!:)

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Cool beans! Keep us updated on your progress!

6. Rustynuts

Well, they all died. Little wonder really, considering we were so badly set up to look after them. But...

Looking positive, we're now breeding rotifers (live food) for the fry when the next lot appear, we're going to have a tank set up ready for them to move into when they hatch so they'll have a much better chance, and we also know that the eggs are viable, they'll hatch alive, and that's half the battle. Every step further on is going to be a step in the right direction now. :)

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've read that some folks put some sort of tiles into their tanks that the clowns lay eggs on then remove that tile and put it into a hatching tank rather than trying to catch the babies. Would that improve the fry's chances of survival?

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

So sorry to hear, I was waiting to see some pics of baby clowns, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. Let us know when you become grand parents again.;D Luna

10. mact4life

mact4life Astrea Snail

Thats awsome congrats

11. mact4life

mact4life Astrea Snail

sorry to hear they died didnt get to the end better luck for the next time and good practice at least

12. Rustynuts

That would indeed be a good way to go. When we first set up the tank (2 years ago) we had a slate in there for just that reason, but we resigned ourselves to the fact that it wasn't going to happen and removed it about 6 months ago. Now that they're spawning we'd probably upset them trying to put a slate in where they're laying. I'm trying to convince wifey that we should try though. ;)