Whoever said damsels were hard to catch.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by fixxxery2k, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

I have found that throwing a stick of dynamite into the tank usually takes care of the problem. Much quicker than having to pull all the roccks & then trying to replicate what you had.

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

yup that works to with a 2 liter bottle, I would dril a couple small holes at the bottom of it. so when you pull it up quick out of the water, theres a little less resistant and the small holes act like little vaccums and help hold the fish towards the bottom of the bottle trap. if you dont feed for 1 day then try this it helps. when fish are starving they'll swim into anything! :)

4. fixxxery2k

fixxxery2k Astrea Snail

These must be above normal intelligence Damsels. They are not swimming NEAR the tube with food. Maybe its the string that's tipping them off. I should have gone with fishing line.

5. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

A damsel is no angel fish, I have a domino in one of my tanks. There is a $30 cash bounty to anyone that can catch him without disturbing corals or rock work...

1 person likes this.
  6. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

Use an inverted soda bottle with food in it.

7. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I see I'm to late night-rida bet me to it lol

8. Click Here!

9. fixxxery2k

fixxxery2k Astrea Snail

Words cannot describe my current frustration. I tried the soda bottle just now. No luck. As soon as the hood comes off, the damsels dash into the rocks to hide.

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Maybe you should leave them alone for awhile. Wait until they stop being afraid of you, and then when they are staying out more you can try to catch them again. They have learned you are scary!

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i wound up having to take out 70+ lbs of rock out of my tank to get my cycling damsels. took like 2.5hours to catch two small a$$ fish in a 75gal

1 person likes this.
  12. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i put a acclimator box in my tank with a ton of food in it. it has a acrylic lid that slides and has holes in it for fish line to be used as a trap.

well it worked fine for me countless times in my cichlid tanks when i had to catch a fish or multiples, but the damsels were too smart for it. they would go up to the acrylic poke their head in and swim away. so as mentioned i wound up having to move 70+ lbs of rock.